"I'll Have What Phil's Having"

A couple of weeks back PBS launched a new food travelogue with with Phil Rosenthal, “Everybody Loves Raymond” creator, that is both interesting and fun and is called “I’ll Have What Phil’s Having”. Last night I watched the third episode, first for me, on Paris and was pulled in by the food, people, and Phil. I watched the first 2 episodes, Tokyo & Italy, online early this morning from the following PBS link … Watch | I'll Have What Phil's Having | PBS . Each episode page has links to a few recipes and map links to find the restaurants he visits in the show. It’s worth seeing one of these episodes to judge for yourself…I might suggest the Italy episode first. Enjoy.

Great fun

The guy is way too goofy for me…he annoys me.

I’ve watched a half hour of the Paris and Italy shows…and turned it off…as he was annoying me. Not sure why, but I wasn’t really learning too much either. Maybe he reminds me too much of Marty Feldman.

Thanks for the recommendation!

Stuart, you’ll get used to it. He made a hilarious documentary about making the syndicated version of Raymond in Russia, that allowes me to overlook his kind of general worminess. But new food show is terrific, the Paris and Italy shows are great.

Have watched only the Paris show. I too was ready to turn it off after 15 minutes because of the host. Stayed with it just to see Paris. We have visited there at least 6 times so it was good to see the city although I don’t recall much info on where many of the places he went were located. A PBS show I find much more entertaining is the Great British Baking Show. The contestants seem to like each other and it seems much more fun than shows on Fox or Food Network.

Cheers,
Curt

“Worminess” is a good descriptor…and “obsequious”.

Like others, I learn very little from the shows I’ve watched. Don’t remember anything specific.

By contrast, Zimmern had a show on Paris that aired last night…and though he is also obsequious and too predictable in his “wows”…I do remember the specifics of his shows.

I will give it more patience…though I am not a fan of any sitcoms, either. I did find one line funny in the Paris show. He was an a ferris wheel and said this is very romantic…pause…being alone with the camerman on a ferris wheel in Paris…I laughed.

I like it. Phil is goofy and annoying but overall the show is pretty charming and interesting.

I echo all comments above - the guy is a major dork but since it was Paris and about food I stuck it out. It did get better and will watch for other episodes.

Barca was OK last night. Still waiting for him to go someplace I haven’t been - interested in that perspective

A couple of days ago I caught the LA episode which I believe is the last one in this year’s debut of the show. Having been born and raised in the LA area I was interested to see where he would go. In some ways he broke from the theme in other episodes and went to the casual eateries that made him like LA when he first moved there from NYC. What I liked most was the other characters aka “friends in the biz” that he pulled into each eatery. Overall I like this show but it might be a one and one for Phil. Hopefully not and he tries some other regions/cities. BTW his parents are a hoot.