The Katzs Deli Kannonball Matzoball.

Some relatives were in NY recently, and we took them to a few decent decent restaurants. they loved Beijing Duck House, Momofuku and Peter Luger. To complete the NY experience we went to Katz. Hmm!. A huge place, overcrowded at lunch. Decent but not great pastrami sandwich on rye, but I knew we were in trouble when the matzo ball soup was loaded onto the tray, and I was barely able to lift it. It was enormous congealed white rock surrounded by a pretty nasty broth exuded by chickens wanting to take revenge on the human race.

Biting into the ball was not a pleasant experience. Thick, grainy, gooey and not quite tasteless; there were still notes of matzo flour and something slightly dank, not sure what it was but it took one bite before I went back to return it. As I went to the counter, I saw that they were offering the chance to send parcels of Katz delicacies to the troops. This would be far more effective. Drop a few of these on Isis, and they would be begging us to stop.

Decent pastrami? I thought it was the best in NYC? If not, who is better?

Also it appears momofuku doesn’t take reservations. Was the wait terrible?

Yeah… not sold on Katz. Better than I can get in Chicago to be sure, but I have to think there’s better deli food in NYC.

Now Russ & Daughters next door I can live on. Everything bagel, caviar cream cheese, lox, and some capers and onions.

This is the first time I’ve ever heard of anyone going to Katz’s for soup. Most go for the pastrami or corned beef.

Phil, Katz’s is the place. Stage and Carnegie aren’t around, and 2nd Avenue isn’t anything special.

I was there in June and had an egg salad sandwich that was barely edible. Three separate bites had broken shell in them. The bowl of pickles had specks of pastrami on them – which as a vegetarian was disappointing. I found my meal sloppy and a bit dirty.

I used to work at 666 5th Ave, and there was a Deli in the basement, and the pastrami was far better there.

Not sure who is better currently, but the Pastrami (and Matzo ball soup) I had in Atlanta, of all places, at General Muir were both much, much better.

We went to Momofuku Ssam bar for lunch. No wait; great food.

Forgot to mention we went to shake Shack at Grand Central. Solid, but prefer Smash Burger.

666 5th ave? Were you working for satan enterprises?

How did you know?

Next time you’re down here and make it to TGM ask for the Pastrami on the buttered rye (like the corned beef) - I find it to be the way to go…so delicious.

Butter? [snort.gif] [scratch.gif]

That’s the kosher equivalent of mixing metaphors, or something like that.

might as well go for mayo on the pastrami

Egg salad at Katz’s? Gee. They must be hiding that in the back. neener

Egg salad at Katz’s? Gee. They must be hiding that in the back. neener

Now that this thread has put me in the mood, I’m going to Sarge’s for lunch on Tuesday.

Haven’t been for a while but I order a “moist” pastrami on rye and a knish and was always satisfied. The last time I was there my cousin ordered the sandwiches and I ended up with dry pastrami (i.e., not much fat) and that wasn’t very good.

Wow, I hadn’t heard about the Carnegie Deli closure. Just googled, hope it reopens.

It’s griddled and I assume they use butter as they call it “buttered rye”

the sushi sucks at katz’s also.

this is an amazing thread.

Have you tried the fried chicken special on Fridays?

If you don’t like Katz’s sushi, you can always opt for a canned tuna or canned salmon platter. Or maybe a chicken salad sandwich.