Peach pie using fresh peaches?? Recipe anyone?

I just picked up 2 cases (4 dozen) just picked Palisade peaches from Palisades, CO. They smell awesome!!

Sadly, until now, I’ve only made fruit pies from canned fruit. Does anyone have a recipe using fresh peaches?

Thanks in advance. [cheers.gif]

I don’t have any recipes I’ve made but I have to say the peaches this year have been AWESOME!

If I did do it, this is what I would do…

Just what I’m looking for! Thanks Kenny.

Make a bottom pie shell, par baked, using your favorite crust recipe - single crust only. Slice a bunch of peaches, about 10, blanched and peeled. Take 2 cups or so of sliced peaches and cook with some water and a cup or so of sugar until they get juicy. Make a slurry of some cornstarch and water. Add to cooked peaches (not too hot or it will seize). Simmer gently until thick. Take off heat and add cinnamon, lemon juice, almond extract. Fill pie shell with fresh sliced peaches still left. Pour cooked and slightly cooled glaze over top. Serve with whipped cream. Best peach pie ever, as it is almost entirely just fresh peaches. Works equally well with berries of all sorts. I make it over and over in the summer and never fails to get raves.

Dale,

I picked up some Elberta peaches from Pallisade today. Here’s what I’m making tonight (in the oven right now)…

1.25 cups flour
6T cold unsalted butter, cut into pieces
1T sugar
pinch salt
2T chilled vodka

2 cups peeled, sliced peaches
1/2 cup sugar
1T corn starch
pinch salt

Put flour, butter, sugar, and salt in food processor. Pulse until butter is the size of small peas (15 times or so). Add vodka. Pulse until dough starts to form clumps (add extra vodka 1/2 tablespoon at a time, if necessary). Turn out onto cutting board. Form dough into ball. Flatten into disc. Warp in plastic and chill 30 minutes.

Roll out dough into a 12-14 inch round. Move dough onto parchment paper on a baking sheet. Combine dry ingredients, and sprinkle 2T of them onto dough, leaving a 1-inch border. Combine peaches with the rest of the dry ingredients. Place into center of dough. Fold dough over fruit to contain it. Brush dough with water and sprinkle with sparkling sugar (if you have it) or regular sugar. Bake at 400 degrees for 40 minutes.

Edited to add: Just out of the oven…
IMG_0375.jpg

Just remember they give off a lot of moisture. I actually gave up trying to make pie, and usually go with cobbler/crisp (which is a lot easier, anyway).

My mother used to make a nice peach cobbler. She was fond of the Pawley’s Island (SC) version.

Yes, that is one reason the pie I make, described above, works so well - the peaches themselves don’t get cooked, just bound together by the glaze. The crust stays crispy and the filling is firm.

Do you have a good peach crisp recipe?

For all things pie, I’ve been quite happy with the Four and Twenty Blackbirds Cookbook

Throw peaches in glass baking dish, cover with crispy stuff, bake [wow.gif]

Actually, I’m terrible at recipes, unless I have made something several times and have it in my head. I have to go to epicurious, read a few, then I average out the ingredients across a few recipes (especially amount of sugar, which I usually cut down). I always forget with is cobbler and which is crisp. I think crisp has oatmeal in it? That’s what I tend to make. And I always bake more than the instructions call for, I like to get some crispy edges, and a little caramelization in the fruit. This year we got literally one peach off our peach tree, so I never made it. Last year I did several over a few weeks.

I’ve never made a pie without fresh fruit. Why bother otherwise?
Agree with Alan about the excessive moisture from peaches. You can combat it with flour but I tend to prefer Apple, Blackberry and leave Peaches to be canned.