Fresh Direct: Are you using them?

I just saw a CNN piece on Fresh Direct in Long Island City. It is an absolutely amazing operation not only from a perishable grocery perspective, but the enhanced raw products they offer (think Blue Apron and the like). The volume and precise execution of delivery on a daily basis is staggering.

Anybody using these guys? Sporadically? On a regular basis? What are your thoughts and experiences?

Where else would you buy groceries?

Agreed. Fresh Direct and Seamless keep me fed in NYC.

Quality is generally good when it comes to meat and fish. I will say, however, that the produce quality can vary a little. They always have very seasonal items (think morels and ramps in the spring) which is nice.

I use them occasionally for some things. When I run out of large cans of San Marzano tomatoes, I order from Fresh Direct so someone else will carry them for me. Same with cases of the fizzy water that my husband drinks. Staples like clamshells of salad greens, a bunch of broccoli to roast or boneless skinless chicken breasts during a busy a week when I have little time to cook let alone shop are fine coming from Fresh Direct. I never use them for meat, fish or whole chickens for roasting and never for featured produce or for dinner parties, and I have never tried any of their prepared foods.

They are a convenience that I sometimes draw on. I will say that, when produce has been off, in every case they have refunded me or sent me a replacement, no questions or issues.

In all seriousness, we order 2-3x per week. So much easier with a kid at home than going to the store. The rotisserie chickens are good and usually on sale. Produce is generally good though the size variations can be annoying if you’re trying to make recipes. Wish there was a way to specify produce by weight instead of number for things like zucchini, eggplant, etc that can be very variable. Same problem with steaks. Fish is fresh though the fish butchering leaves much to be desired (bones, scales, sloppy, etc). In our neighborhood their route is always the same so even though there is a 2-hour window they come at exactly the same time very day. Prices for pantry items are usually competitive with amazon.

Sort of amusing, our daughter thinks that all food comes from the computer/delivery man. When we are out of something, her response is “order more!”

Another vote for heavy things and staples, but I’ve also been happy with the quality of meat and fish I’ve bought from them. And agreed that they are great about refunding if you complain about quality. I use them more in the winter when I don’t feel like going out and when the farmers’ markets are non-existent or non-tempting. I’ve broken down a few times this summer though and used them when they’ve sent free weekend delivery offers.

I used to use them occasionally but have switched to Amazon Fresh. More options and you can pick the purveyor you want which is huge for me. I order from The Lobster Place thru Amazon and their seafood quality is far superior to not only Fresh Direct but is one of the best fish stores in Manhattan.

i used to use them frequently but found i ended up over ordering because i did not have to carry it back from whole foods. it is fantastic for large pantry items like cases of water. produce quality is variable but usually the freshness ratings are accurate. customer service is great as well.

I use them all the time; great quality.

What about wine? Anybody buying wine from them?

Never. The wine comes from Union Square Wines which I find deplorable in both selection and price. Both Chambers St and Vintry will deliver to my apartment for free in less than a day, so there would be no cause for me to try wine from Fresh Direct.

I have bought the occasional 6 pack of beer though.

1-2x per week. Staples and heavy stuff like milk and OJ. Love the service.

Generally we buy fresh food in the neighborhood at the original Fairway market.