Mellow Sous Vide

pretty device but they appear to
be late to the game and over priced

the built-in refrigeration seems unique. but yeah, i think this answers a question that hasn’t been asked.

the refrigeration aspect is the big innovation here. you can put fish in, leave for work, then it will chill it after 30 minutes, or presumably the reverse: keep it chilled then turn on 30 minutes before you get home. that’s pretty cool and a feature I would use.

Yep, the fridge aspect is something I have thought about a few times as I have had to arrange my day in such a way to get food started cooking at the right time.

The inflexibility of the tank size is the absolute deal killer for me. This seems small and limiting.

I have the sous vide supreme which has a fixed tank (that’s well insulated, btw). I haven’t had capcity issues, even done 3 full racks of ribs, just had to but them in half.

Getting them in is one thing- does the water circulate around and in between? I have expanded to a cooler for some big cooks to ensure things weren’t jammed together with no circulation between packages.

Wonder if you could program something to cook for X hours at Y temperature, then use the cooling feature to rapidly chill it down below 35 degrees. If so, could be an amazing protein prep machine to get things ready for the work week.

Edit: Found my answer in the FAQ. This unit cannot cook-chill.

damn. that was promising. So it can just chill-cook?

I haven’t really thought about circulation because it’s not an outboard motor style machine. the heat comes from the walls of the machine and you just place the racks of ribs in the racks, like plates in a dishwasher.

I’m not saying these machines are worth the price, but I don’t have any complaints either (I won mine in a cooking competition).

Insulated container, pack full of ice water. Would last for a while at least. Not sure how the anova WiFi interface thing works exactly, but if you could set something up remotely to fire it up… i don’t know if you could just use a light switch timer… cause you have to hit “go” at least, right?

has anova given access to their API?

Wouldn’t stacking the food potentially dramatically increase the cooking time as well? It would be like the difference between cooking a 2 inch steak compared to 4 inch steak.

The rack keeps them from stacking, so there would be water circulating between items presumably

that’s way too demanding for a $400 unit and I’d’ be worried about going from chilled to cooking temperature.