Pairing non-alcoholic beverages with food

Does anyone give special thought to this?

Do you reach for a lemon-lime soda with seafood?

Do you weigh the differences between creamy or biting root beer?

Very minimal. First it’s almost always water so not much to consider. But on the rare occasions that I drink a soda, there is some consideration for the food. Hank’s black cherry for instance works well with the ribs I get from this place close to work. I generally prefer something with more bite like a reeds ginger ale but that would fail miserably.

I only drink coffee in the morning and generally before I get around to eating so not much to consider there either. Tea is enjoyed less often these days and again generally by itself.

Probably the only thing I drink these days with meals besides alcohol, and probably more often than alcohol actually, is water (mostly sparkling) and, to a lesser extent, iced tea. In the morning and post meals I might have a coffee drink but I rarely have one with food. No sodas ever.

Q1: yes. I don’t but many in town do have n/a pairings with fixed price menus

Q2: green tea, especially chilled can be great with heavier fish such as Salmon, just on example.

Q3: With root beer, you really want to understand the texture just as much as the sweetness/bitterness.

is there a specific dish you’re trying to pair?

Minimal, but occasionally. Non-alcoholic beverages at our home will usually be a decision point between juice, lassi, water, water with lemon, water with lime, water with strawberries.

Other than going lighter with fish (a water) I don’t think the food influences me much.

Usually just water, like several others have commented. May infuse the water, as Jay does. When dining out, I think some of the Thai specialty concoctions go well with the cuisine.

The ultimate non-alcoholic beverage/food combo, though, is coffee with chocolate dessert.

Hadn’t thought of this one but big agreement here (though not for Arnold who doesn’t like chocolate).

Also, tea with certain pastries such as scones (but I always get a cappuccino if I go for a morning croissant).

Iced tea and fried chicken is another good one.

Cola and NYC style pizza - not sure how much of this was programming from my college days.

“Pairings” can be pretentious enough with wine, but beverages? Cola?