Electric smokers - what are your thoughts?

I’ve been looking into getting one. I love smoking meats but nowadays I find I don’t have the time or space anymore. Has anyone here used an electric smoker? Thoughts on pros/cons?

Here’s one I am looking at: http://www.charbroil.com/electric-smoker

Thanks,
Sam

I have used a masterbuilt for the past few years.

Pros: Easy to use, good temperature control, pretty much fire and forget except adding wood chips every 45-60 minutes and checking water pan if smoking for over 5 hours or so.

Con: Small rack size, I often have to cut large items (full briskets, beef ribs) into two pieces to fit on a rack. While it has four racks, you may not actually be able to use them all if the meat is thick as they are fairly tight. No issue with ribs or salmon but no way on pork butt that you can use all four. Two is about the limit.

I am planning on moving to a Primo this fall due to the size restrictions and will keep the electric smoker around for salmon and pork tenderloin as they smoke quick and the electric is just so easy to start up and use mid-week.

Brian
What is the clean up like on the electric smoker?
I love my Primo X/L and with a BBQ guru it is set it and forget it for long cooks.

if space is a concern, you might consider a Big Chief instead, also it’s cheaper. You want the front load, not the top load. Amazon.com

I am not exactly a clean freak so maybe not the best person to ask. I take the racks out and scrub those in the kitchen sink so that isn’t too bad. I don’t touch the inside of the smoker. I did initially but I can’t come up with a reason as to why it makes a difference. The ash tray is a pull out and dump task so takes 10 seconds. The water pan also cleans up in a few seconds or if really bad goes into the sink with the racks.

Glad you love the X/L as that is what I was planning on getting.

I have a Smokin Tex and like it. Clean up is easy. I would buy another if I needed another. Mine is 8-9 years old and still works great.

JD

Ditto for me…have had for 11 years…love it…adjustable temps…can use wood, not chips or sawdust. Love the product it produces…for cold and hot smoke. Smokin’ Tex…

no water pan…that Big Chief link says it’s not temperature adjustable…i wouldn’t like that…as I do some cold smoking (salmon) and need to keep the heat as low as possible…to not cook the salmon. And, I like to cook some meats at higher temps than others.

I’d buy another Smokin Tex (or similar) again in a flash…of smoke…SmokinTex Premium Electric Smokers | SmokinTex.com

having that and a deck pizza oven have turned my garage into a cooking center…and have expanded my repertoire.

I had a Brinkman Charcoal Smoker. You were always running out to check the temperature and add more charcoal. I wished I bought the electric version. you still need to check it from time to time.

I did buy that Charbroil model, but ended up returning it. It was about $99 at a Fred’s Store on sale a few weeks before Thanksgiving. But it kept tripping the breaker on my outdoor outlet. I just gave up on it. It is also kind oh cheesier than it looks. Fit and finish are not the best.

Cookshack if your serious. No comparison quality wise to those listed above…of course that comes with a cost.

Thanks all - Cookshack looks like a commercial-grade piece of machinery. Not sure if I need that level of firepower… the Smokin Tex seems like a better bang-for-buck for home purposes? I’m looking at the Model 1100 - John and Stuart, is that what you guys are using?

In have the Cookshack smokette elite. Works great and is easy to clean.

I have what seems like the 1400, with wheels. (It says “1300” on it, but they don’t offer that any longer and the video SmokinTex Premium Electric Smokers | Residential Smokers | Commercial Smokers | SmokinTex.com — SmokinTex of the 1400 seems like my machine.

Since I keep it in my garage…and roll it outside the garage to smoke…unless it’s raining or snowing…I don’t need the smallest machine. I think the capacity of the 1400 is very practical. I’m not sure I’d get a smaller one, but…that’s my preference only.

good luck…you’ll enjoy smokin with Tex…
go on ebay and try some interesting woods…that’s been part of the fun for me

Thanks all - looking forward to ‘fire-and-forget’ smokin’… :slight_smile:

Keep us posted…it has changed my life…in a very positive way. Hope it does the same for you, Tex.

Stuart- does smoke leak out of the 1300 when you are cooking?

Suzanne…no “leaking”, but there is a vent/hole on the top of the machine that allows smoke out…and makes the area (and maybe the neighborhood) smell like a smokehouse.

Ah thanks, I was thinking of using it on a screened lanai in Florida.

Another vote for Cookshack.
Love mine.

I have a Traeger. Works great. Pellets they sell are very clean burning, so about as low maintenance as you’ll find.