If you could only eat at one restaurant in Denver...

Going to Denver for a wedding in about 6 weeks. Since the wedding is for my wife’s best friend, the whole weekend is going to be about what she and the bride want to do. That being said, we get in on early Thursday (wedding is on Saturday) and we are going to be in city itself on Thursday so I’d like to have lunch at one of those “bucket list” types of places. I love the diners, drive-ins & dive types of places, but I’m just as open to something much nicer that does a lunch.

Any recommendations?

-Alex

I was just in Denver. Tons of terrific places. Tons. Lots are not open for lunch (Solitiare and Populist for instance) or have radically different and simpler if still delicious menus (Mercantile). I might give Acorn a go. Delicious food, fun environment and good wine program. Don’t know if it’s a bucket list place but it’s a very good Denver restaurant. YMMV.

Not Denver but nearby in Boulder Frasca. World class IMHO.

1 Like

There are tons, here are a few of my favorites…

The Kitchen is terrific and it is a great part of Downtown. Il Posto is a small, energetic Italian spot a mile east of downtown with great food and a terrific NYC vibe (a bit cramped, a bit noisy, lots of staff bustling around… all done with lots of charm). Rioja is another fine spot. I’m also loyal to Table 6.

If in Boulder, I would strongly second Frasca (reservations are a must).

Since you’re limited to lunch: Acorn, Cholon, Stoic & Genuine, or Mercantile Dining & Provision (just sandwich counter service, but stellar).

If you can find time for dinner: Barolo, Fruition, or Mizuna jump to the head of the line…

Agreed. Frasca Food & Wine. Great food and one of the best wine lists in the country (with a special emphasis on Italian wines, esp. those from Friuli-Venezia Giulia). Destination worthy.

Fruition is my favorite in Denver. Frasca is great if you want to drive 30 mins to Boulder. Acorn was already mentioned but would probably be number 2 in Denver.

I was in Denver last month and had dinner at an amazing Italian place just outside of downtown in the Highland district called Spuntino, 2639 West 32 Ave. Really cool well selected Italian wine list. The food is amazing. Get the rabbit.

If you love Sushi…The Sushi Den. Very near the DU campus.

Oh dear God… Casa Bonita! YES! Perhaps the worst food in the world!!!

All of these ^^^^^^ Fruition is my favorite restaurant in Denver.
Plus I would add Mercantile though I have only had dinners there.

Been to Acorn for lunch twice in the last
month. It is very nice but not bucket list
the building it is in is very cool with a couple of nice foodie shops and great tap room in the back (Crooked Stave)

+1 on Stoic & Genuine. Fantastic oysters and seafood; great wine list!

if you can’t get into Frasca, decent food and amazing wine list at Flagstaff House in Boulder.

Killer.

I’m going to add Squeaky Bean to the list. A very casual place with an avant garde menu and great cocktails. Nothing fancy, but a perfect place for lunch.

I’ve been to most of the places listed here. Based on my experiences, For fine dining I’d put Frasca, Fruition, Oak, Acorn and Mercantile at the top, in that order. Sushi Den is always excellent. If you are looking for morning stuff, Rosenberg’s Bagels are New York quality.

Thanks all!

Do you like beer? Falling Rock Tap House is good (they usually have Pliny the Elder on tap - bonus!).
And the food is sorta DDD-esque, but go for the beer.