Chris Cosentino and the humiliation of Food TV

Chris Cosentino is one hell of a guy and this video is very, very real. He now has another restaurant in a different location called Cockscomb, and also has a “tasty pig parts” brand which is in the Ferry Building, called Boccalone.

"When San Francisco-based chef en San Francisco-based chef Chris Cosentino appeared at this year’s MAD 4 Symposium, no one expected his talk to be a tear-stained apology. The emotional lecture was a cathartic moment for Cosentino, who deeply regrets many of his television appearances. He details the brutal schedules and the propensity for humiliation that food TV demands. Under contract with a network, and feeling the pressure to self-promote, Cosentino warns chefs who are looking for a quick buck and a few minutes of fame to “be careful what you wish for.” appeared at this year’s MAD 4 Symposium, no one expected his talk to be a tear-stained apology. The emotional lecture was a cathartic moment for Cosentino, who deeply regrets many of his television appearances. He details the brutal schedules and the propensity for humiliation that food TV demands. Under contract with a network, and feeling the pressure to self-promote, Costentino warns chefs who are looking for a quick buck and a few minutes of fame to “be careful what you wish for.”

It’s Cosentino, even the article couldn’t decide on a spelling.

October 2014 story…

It was a new story for me, and absolutely worth watching. Thanks.

I was wondering about the date…

Big deal; I live in San Francisco, I have been to Incanto, knew that it had closed, and follow very closely the food and restaurant scene. I had never seen this video; the talk was presented to a particularly select group.You wondered about the date? Easy to check… Do you know what show he is referencing? It was Chefs vs. City in 2009, from The ignominious Food Network (exceptions for Chopped and Giada De Laurentiis though). Do you know who his partner was? He was Aarón Sanchez.

Why the snark around here?

Thanks for posting.

I haven’t seen this before and I’m enthralled, although the clip froze on me after 5 minutes or so. I will try to resume tonight from a different PC. Thanks for posting this.