Seaweed that tastes like BACON and has twice the nutrients of Kale....

Super food of the next offline?

http://laist.com/2015/07/17/seagan_bacon.php

You have my attention

This looks wonderful!

Not so sure about “for an offline”. Warning: thread drift to come.My mom was a first generation Russian Jew; in theory religious Jews don’t eat pork~but they usually love bacon! But I wish this bacon everywhere, including desserts, would stop already.

When I worked the Catskills we fried up pastrami and it was quite acceptable in a BLT.

I’d think pastrami would be better than “quite acceptable”!

My customers had no choice as it was a Kosher place.

Because Kombu (a form of kelp) is cooked with Japanese koshihikari rice to give it an umami flavor, I wondered if it might be closely related to Dulse. But Kombu is a brown algae and Dulse is a red algae, so they are quite far apart.

John Tyler Bonner, a Princeton professor whom I respect, thinks that red and brown algae result from two separate “experiments” in becoming multicellular. In that same line, obviously plants and animals also come from two separate experiments in multicellularity, and sponges, fungi, and animals would be three separate experiments.

So both red and brown algae are rich in Glutamate (and MSG when cooked) but from a biochemical perspective that’s not terribly surprising.

I wonder what my Japanese rice would taste like if I inserted dried Dulse instead of dried Kombu??