Nathalie Dupree: two ingredient biscuits

So easy~so very fine. Nathalie Dupree recommends using a southern self-rising flour, like white lily (available on Amazon) or martha white.

It’s miraculous to make a biscuit with only two ingredients, particularly when making such an impressive biscuit, light and tender, capable of convincing anyone that the cook was born holding a biscuit bowl. This recipe is a good fallback for anyone who hasn’t made a biscuit for a while or has to hurry up and get some baked. If using a cream with less fat (heavy cream has 36 percent) start with less and use only what is needed to make a moist, slightly sticky dough. Half-and-half just doesn’t work well enough to use by itself. This is really a hurry-up recipe, but the directions are detailed. Better yet, this can be sweetened to make light as air short cakes. — Nathalie Dupree

http://www.postandcourier.com/article/20150708/PC1206/150709518?fb_action_ids=10207212618774744&fb_action_types=og.likes

Two-Ingredient Cream Biscuits
Makes 14-18 (2-inch) biscuits
21/4 cups self-rising flour
11/4 cups heavy whipping cream

http://www.postandcourier.com/article/20150708/PC1206/150709518?fb_action_ids=10207212618774744&fb_action_types=og.likes

not to be snarky, but why would someone do this? These aren’t ingredients most folks have on hand, so they’d have to go to the store, where they could buy real flour and real butter or lard (and salt).

Don’t diss cream biscuits until you try them. Nathalie knows her stuff. Both of those flours are great but probably only findable on line or in the South.

Those southern self-rising flours are made from soft winter wheat with baking powder already mixed in. You could approximate this using cake (or other low-gluten) flour and adding baking powder – or as Don alluded, simply get some at Amazon or the like.

And cream instead of butter… not much to fault there.

I am bummed about the lack of good stone-ground corn meal such as Dixie Lily or Alabama King out here. The best substitute I’ve found so far is Bob’s Red Mill, but that is merely a pale shadow of the good stuff.

Nathalie is amazing.

Made cornbread biscuits/scones tonight using an approximation of Natilies method. I use Pioneer mix, which is a biscuit mix that uses soft winter wheat. 2 cups of this to 3/4 cup of country boy yellow cornmeal. mixed in the cream and cut into scones. Was very good. Dixie lily is okay, I think a bit coarse especially the grits.

I have made the cream biscuits before and also made them for sweet biscuits for shortcake. I still prefer my regular biscuit method as it produces a lighter flakier biscuit.

But Milton,
Sounds like you made cornmeal biscuits, a whole different kettle of fish.

Right I did and thought her method worked pretty well for that application. Wanted something different from cornbread with our ribs and also used it to spread on some pimento/chipotle goat cheese. Were also good with fire honey drizzled on them.

On other occasions I have made a sweet version adding sugar and using the cream method.

I have also tried it for “regular” biscuits. It produces an okay biscuit, but lacks the fluffy flaky interior that I get with my method (which has been described on this board several times).

I make batches of biscuits every couple of weeks and freeze them. My kids have never had a wop biscuit except fried up as a beignet.
[video]- YouTube

Are you saying there people in the US who don’t keep White Lily flour in their pantry? I’m not sure I understand [scratch.gif]

or even cream…

Cream is usually kept in the fridge…

Take a pic of your fridge right now and show me the heavy whipping cream :slight_smile:

It’s there, but you’ll just have to take my word for it. (We enjoy a lot of berries in the summer, and sometimes have them with whipped cream.)

Milton,
I LOVE Jerry Clower.
I am not a big fan of wop biscuits either!
D

Only thing a wop biscuit is useful for is beignets. Hell butter won’t even soak into them.

My uncle was from Philadelphia in Nashoba county, Jerry performed at the fair there pretty regularly. I grew up listening to Jerry Clower records. Still love to hear him on Blue Collar on the Satellite.

I’ll admit to being 50/50 on whether I have cream at any given point in time.