Corkage at Sushi Den in Denver?

From my research it seems that Colorado is a no corkage/byob state, but does anyone have any experience with Sushi Den in particular? Their listed prices are 4x wholesale and I’d like to bring my own and spend the money on sushi instead.

Penalty is too severe to permit customers from bringing their own alcohol. Why would any business allow that?

Some do, Everett. Restaurants form relationships with collectors and will grant privileges from time to time, even in Colorado.

How do you get that list. I’ve got a good friend in CO, who apparently doesn’t know that some restaurants allow you to BYO. That would influence where we choose to dine for sure.

I don’t think there is a actual list or that many people discuss/advertise it. I think it’s all about making a connection with the staff/sommelier/manager/owner and being a repeat (and known) customer. Then…maybe…they will allow you to bring something.

That’s just a guess…

Yes. You put in the time, you build up the trust and the relationship. There is no secret password or list. This is true in many places, not just Colorado.

But the sushi is awesome at the Den, best in Denver.

I can’t wait to go. Our Chef spent time there and says it’s not just tops in Denver but would be in many other cities too. I’ve had rather poor experiences dining in Colorado, so I’m quite excited. Any other places you’d recommend?

Paul - I have a bunch of friends in Denver and we were there for a wedding this April. We ate dinner at Acorn on the recommendation of a local foodie friend and enjoyed it very much - so much so, in fact, that we ditched the wedding lunch the next day and went back. Good food, atmosphere and cocktails (wine was fine) as well as being in the same facility with a very interestingly stocked liquor store where we bought a few things for the hotel room. It’s definitely worth checking out.

http://www.denveracorn.com/menu/

Thanks Sarah! I’ve heard that Colorado has a better supply of a few coveted whiskeys. Will seek out that store (and Acorn too).

Sushi Den is as good as everyone says. My daughter went to DU and it was a regular part of our rotation. Denver has a lot of good restaurants. We usually hit Acorn and have had wonderful meals at Fruition. In Boulder, Frasca and Oak (same folks as Acorn) are excellent.

The Merchantile in Union Station for dinner.

Can’t wait for the $12 Avocado toast at Acorn tho.

another vote for Acorn and I will second Michael’s recommendation on Mercantile Dining and Provisions in Union Station. I have also been very happy with the guys over at Lower48 Kitchen. Sushi Den, as noted, is always strong. I live near DU so it’s practically a neighborhood joint; their ‘sister’ restaurant, Izykaya Den, more than measures up as well.

awesome. keep the suggestions coming.