Sushi / Sashimi / Crudo / Ceviche lovers, thoughts on this new law?

NYC says all raw fish must be frozen before serving:

lots of sushi is already deep frozen when caught. Nothing new

It has long been an FDA requirement.

Except for raw molluscan shellfish, certain species of large tuna, certain aquacultured fish, and fish eggs that have been removed from the skein and rinsed, if fish are intended for raw or undercooked consumption, they must be properly frozen before they are served. If this process is done off-premises, purchase specifications ensuring that proper freezing techniques are used to destroy parasites must be provided. Labeling or other information should accompany the product to advise as to whether the product was frozen properly. This is necessary because fish from natural bodies of water may carry parasitic worms that can infect and injure consumers who eat such raw fish dishes as sushi, ceviche, green (lightly marinated) herring, and cold-smoked salmon. The worms are often deeply imbedded inside fish muscle. Thorough freezing kills these worms if the fish are subjected to a low enough temperature for a long enough time.

Why is the NYC Health Department stepping in, have chefs been meeting boats at the docks and going rogue?

I’m suspicious of the rules to begin with. I wonder if the rules are lobbied for by the distributors who want to level the playing field. They like to freeze their fish so it’s easier to distribute and hold year round. Yes, there’s parasite destruction but I think that’s an excuse.

Are your oysters frozen? I hope not.

If your sushi chef orders from Tsukiji and picks it up at the airport are there health inspectors opening his box? I doubt it.

We have a local wholesaler here who opened a little hole in the wall retail space next door to their warehouse. I talked to the manager about shushi grade vs normal fish.

I suspect this law is because many restaurants are using normal grades of fish and passing it off a sushi. Scottish salmon comes to mind. Big cost difference between sushi grade and scottish, yet my guy said lots of restaurants here serve the scottish.