Great Tuna Source in NY

Looking for a little fish advice. Just bought some tuna to sear from a local fish market and just disappointed with quality. I haven’t been able to find really great tuna on Long Island. I’m assuming its around in Manhattan, but need a hook up. I’m so well covered on my meat source with Flannery, but feel my fish source is really lacking. Thank you in advance for advice!

Not local, but where many of the country’s top restaurants source their fish.

Browne Trading.

The Lobster Place in Chelsea Market is pricey and has become touristy but the quality of the fish is very good. It happens to be very convenient for me so I don’t search further afield.

Don’t think I’ve ever bought tuna though.

I hear there’s a really good fish monger at the Tribeca Farmer’s Market but I’ve never made it there.

Dan - let me know if you find one. I had a good source, but they closed up a couple of years ago. My local fish market doesn’t have the quality I am looking for.

Sometimes you need to develop a relationship with your fish monger. Ask them if they can source a higher grade for you. Several years ago went into my fish store for from NYE dinner, he offered me what was left of some high grade tuna that had been ordered by another customer.

speak with someone at either eataly or lobster place in chelsea. i’ve found that if you give them notice they can secure what you want, cut it the way you want, etc. both have phenomenal service and selection.

Lobster Place was always my go-to. I have found the quality to be high and agree they are very good with special orders and requests. Another option is Pescatore in Grand Central Market. They are less consistent than Lobster Place, but often have excellent fish and can be terrific about special requests. We got a gorgeous whole wild king salmon from them at a very sharp price once.

A word about Browne Trading - the fish is indeed superior and priced accordingly. I usually order from them when I want something truly special. BUT… they have screwed up every single order I’ve ever placed. My husband and several of our friends have had the exact same experience over the course of probably 20-30 orders and a number of year. They are sloppy or they don’t write things down or they are over-loaded, I’m not sure. I’m just warning you to check and double check everything with them.

my buddy’s house yesterday afternoon. he picked up 4 50 lb bluefins yesterday morning out of moriches.
that probably doesn’t help much…

The Tribeca farmers’ market fishmonger is Blue Moon–they’re also at Union Square on Wednesdays and Grand Army Plaza on Saturdays.
http://www.bluemoonfish.com/markets/
Have always been happy with what I’ve bought from them.

Agree with the above: Lobster Place is the clear #1 in the city proper (my suspicion is the tourists buying loads of overpriced lobster subsidizes the less lucrative high-end fish business) and Pescatore is not a bad fallback as a #2. Meanwhile, let’s all pour out a glass of well-paired white burgundy for what Citarella used to be, 20 years ago.

Thanks so much for the recs so far. Now I need to figure out if I can get them to deliver to Long Island…anyone know somebody on Long Island?

Not sure if Amazon Fresh services your area, but they carry many products from The Lobster Place as well as Pescatore.

Was in the City today, so hit up the Lobster Place. Bought everything. Amazing tuna. Hamachi kama. Lobster…sure beats my sources on LI. Thanks for the recs. I’ll be back.

How are transport conditions? Is it packed on enough ice?

Should have mentioned this earlier but if you return buy a jar of their salmon rillettes. Fantastic stuff.

How far east are you willing to travel? Southold Fish Market, a.k.a. Charlie’s, is the gold standard.

I order a couple of times a week and the deliveries have always arrived at a proper temperature.

Hey all, just wanted to update on this thread. We are now full fledged Lobster Place fans. FYI, if you call them, they will deliver fedex overnight anywhere. We now get a weekly shipment of live lobster, tuna, branzino. Great caviar selection as well. Highly recommended!

Fish Tales, Brooklyn, NY - Sushi grade - Montauk

+1 for Fish Tales. Used to live much closer, now I trek the extra distance when I need something great.