My first attempt at Chicken Adobo

I followed this recipe

I thought it turned out pretty well, but it turns out this version is from further north and the one he grew up with has no coconut milk and a lot less vinegar. Now that I think about it, he thought the poulet au vinaigre I made once was too vinegary too.

I’ll try again soon.

Before:
IMG_2967.JPG
Finished product:
IMG_2973.JPG

like the look… what other stuff did you make to go with it?

Just white rice.

And then whatever random food we had on hand after Arnold turned up his nose at the amount of vinegar in the chicken :slight_smile:. Personally, I liked this recipe very much but it won’t be made again.

looks great Jay

Looks great. I am not a big fan of vinegary food but I think it would do well in that dish.

I suspect you made it extra vinegary so you’d have something else to go with your fino. [wink.gif]

The pictures look good.
The recipe seems high in the vinegar to soy ratio. I usually go closer to 1:1, to taste, leaning more towards soy. Coconut milk, bay leaf , and ginger can be added for variation. One cup of coconut milk seems a lot in proportion here.
Sometimes, I make the sauce first and use it to finish whole-roasted birds, adjusting the seasoning at the end. It can be a little more forgiving, and I can redo the sauce if necessary.

I liked it quite a bit but there’s no question that the vinegar was a dominant flavor.

I’m making this one tonight:

Started marinating yesterday.

Looks good! If you want more detailed steps, this one may be helpful:

If you are into it, leftovers can be shredded, crisped in a pan and made into fried rice (with lots of toasted garlic) and topped with the egg of your choice. It’s a great breakfast.

My fiancee’s mom is Filipino, so I’ve started to make a few Filipino dishes. I’ve had the best success with adobo. I really like that recipe you linked. I have the cookbook this was adapted from and made pancit from it. Did not like the way it turned out. Very bland considering all the work involved. I will try the other version of pancit in the cookbook.

I also recently tried the April Bloomfield version, which I thought was fantastic.

The first one or the second one?

Do you mix it into the rice before or after frying? I’m guessing after?

I’ve gotten pretty good at Filipino style fried rice over the last few years.

That looks really good, I like the addition of ginger. Maybe I’ll try it next but I’ll cut the amount of vinegar in half.

I make the fried rice separately and then put in the toasted adobo, but it just depends on what you like texturally.
It all makes for a crazy killer burrito too.

The first.

I liked it more than the second but Arnold preferred the second. He did, however, offer two critiques after I served it.

1. The chicken should be sauteed again after removing to crisp the skin (I might broil instead)
  2. the sauce should be boiled to thicken it and intensify the flavor after the chicken is removed

Adjusting the sauce with a teaspoon or two of vinegar or fish sauce after reducing it down might brighten up the sauce also. Are you able to get coconut vinegar?