Cured Tea smoked 108 degree Salmon

Picked up a really gorgeous piece of copper river sockeye.
Made a cured Dajeleen Tea smoked 108 degree salmonDashi Geleepickled veggie melody with Match Wasabi sauce and Honey mustard sauce

Salmon is first cured with salt and suger for 30 min in the fridge. And then it is cold smoked with Dajeleen Tea for 1 hour.
I sous vide the fish for 30 min at 108 and refridge it over night to set the fish.
It is served with pickled veggies and Dashi gelee and two different sauces.
The texture of the fish is silky and the gelee really helped the sweet smokiness. Also the Match sauce echoed the tea flavor of the fish.
FullSizeRender.jpg
It paired with a bottle of 2006 White Rose Estate Pinot Noir Dragon’s Bluff Durant Lark beatufully.

explain cold smoked with Dajeleen Tea please

I have a pressure smoker. Just replace the wood chip with tea leaf. This is pretty common technique in the south east region of China.

Looks gorgeous David. I’ll have to see whether Linda has been hiding the pressure smoker from me.

Looks superb. Well done.

Tea smoked duck is a famous dish in Hangzhou China, where is also famous for its Longjin Tea (AKA Dragon’s Well). The smoky flavor is more complex than wood smoked meats.

Linda’s dad was raised in Guangzhou and, alas, no pressure smoker.

Maybe I can just light a match to some tea and capture the smoke in the bag where I sous vide the salmon.

gorgeous! thanks for sharing.

Guangzhou style duck is awesome as well. It is roasted open fire in a special oven. I can’t get enough of those when visiting China.
In the States, I have to rely on technology when dealing with a small piece of meat.

I used to use a smoking gun to get some light smokiness into a dish. Or a Portable Vaporizer can do the same and more [stirthepothal.gif]

learn something every day, never heard of a pressure smoker. I looked them up, seems interesting for what you do and cheese.

Paul

Thank you for the wine. The White Rose Maresh Vineyard is my favorite among the wines we traded.

David

other winemakers buy the Maresh vineyard fruit too, notably Day Wines, et fille, Kelley Fox, Winderlea, Scott Paul

Thanks, Paul.

I will seek them out. Does Maresh vineyard perform better in the riper vintage like the 06? I find the fruit has more purity and more balanced with minerality and good acidity, compared to other bottles from this vintage.

David

that’s exactly what we set out to determine when we tasted old vines versus young vines (Maresh are old for Oregon). My assumption was the old vines would fare better in hotter years, considering their deeper roots. Indeed for 2006, they fared better in our little tasting below, but generally the consensus was winemaker and vineyard management were just as important as age of vines. Here are notes: http://www.wineberserkers.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1202096#p1202096

David,

I also highly recommend the PDFs on the Pinot Camp webpage. There are over 100 pages of detailed information. Workshop Post-OPC — OPC | OREGON PINOT CAMP