Recent Chicago Eats

As part of the merger with my new company i just spent 2 weeks in Chicago. I thought i would post everywhere that I ate with my impressions of them:

Blackbird- A really elegant dining room and a really nice meal. I did the tasting menu and there were some real highs (a tongue pastrami dish, and one of the best composed cheese dishes i have ever had). I thought some courses were just ok, but a knowledgeable staff and a nice wine list helped make up for it. It was an overall really nice experience.

Avec- If i could eat like this every night I would. A super tiny really cool space. The food was outstanding across the board. I could have gone here every night. The burrata pizza and the dates were oustanding and i really loved the tabouleh. Plus one of the best chicken liver mousse i have ever had. The wine program is week and the staff is not super knowledgeable about wine. The first bottle they brought me was clearly corked and the staff tried to tell me that is how that wine always was. We settled on another average bottle after that. I’d stick to cocktails next time.

Enso Sushi- I was in wicker park with some friends and they took me here…i was dubious but actually really surprised. Nothing amazing but really good sushi and some interesting hot dishes if you are in the area.

Dove’s Luncheonette- really cool spot with a small menu but really good food. I ate breakfast which i was told was overshadowed by the rest of the food. I would go back.

La Colombe- my new favorite coffee chain

Rural Society- Really cool high end Argentine steak house type restaurant in the new Loews Hotel. Beautiful space and really good food. I went for lunch. the house made chorizo was amazing.

Au Cheval- Probably my highlight of the trip. I just love when everything works. Great atmosphere, great tunes. Bartenders who make killer drinks. one of the best burgers i have ever had. Amazing fries. Want this all the time.

La Sirena Clandestina- Really interesting food. i sat at the bar and the bartender sucked. She was just really not excited to be there. The empenadas are so worth it. You should get both the regular and vegan option.

The Girl and the Goat- I really enjoyed my meal here. This isn’t life changing food but just really fun New American cuisine meant to be shared. Lots of great flavors and some nice technique. I would probably eat here a bunch if i lived in Chicago as it is most reminiscent of my wife and I’s weekly date night spot.

Feast- brunch here in Wicker Park is exactly what i want in a hangover brunch…fast service, good food done right, good coffee. Nothing special but just what we needed. Also the potatoes were really good.

Lastly i went to 2 places that were mentioned to me by locals as good ‘fast food’ burgers. M Burger and Shake Shack. I could totally do without M burger, but Shake Shack is the real deal. I had never been to one and i loved it. Really great stuff.

Nice list of restaurants.

George