Are you sure that's a rib-eye?

This puts Outback into perspective for me. [wink.gif]

While I find this disgusting, for some reason it doesn’t surprise me.

Kick Ass name for a band

Meat Glue

I had no idea. But like Rick above, I’m not surprised.

Used in a manner that isn’t deceptive (a Frankenstein steak for example) it is a very handy product to make uniform whole pieces from parts. An example would be to take two fish fillets and flip one of them 180 degrees. Combine and you have one uniform piece making cooking easier.

The next sign that the apocalypse must be nigh.

woah. a brisket and stew meat combined?! count me in ;D

Quick google search came up with this warning:

"The U.S. Food and Drug Administration lists transglutaminase as “generally recognized as safe.” It’s OK to eat cooked meat that’s been glued.

But here’s the problem: the outside of a piece of meat comes in contact with a lot of bacteria making its way from slaughterhouse to table. Usually cooking a steak on the outside will kill all that off. The center of a single cut of steak is sterile, that’s why you can eat it rare. But glued pieces of meat could contain bacteria like E. coli on the inside.

“Say somebody wants that filet steak rare, the center temperature is not going to reach the temperature that will actually kill the bacteria,” Terje said. “And that’s also a really, really happy environment for things that can kill you.”

Pinning down who is using transglutaminase isn’t easy. One meat company owner told KGO-TV that gluing meat is common practice, and the most glued product by far is filet mignon destined for the food service industry.

An industry trade group also said meat glue is most often used where filet mignon is served in bulk - at a restaurant, banquet, cafeteria or hotel."

I think I will stick with the rubber chicken next time I am at a banquet.

I had not idea and since I like my steak black and blue, I need to start asking questions. Thanks for the post.

Yet another reason to avoid filet mignon. Frankly it’s the blandest of all cuts as well. I would think you would be able to tell with the grain once you cut in, I suppose maybe not for Filet, but at least the other cuts should be safe this way.

I think Tom has the really important part of this. Parts = bad news for food safety.

Great point…

It’s mentioned in the video…does anyone watch posted videos?

There was a video? newhere

Holey cow!!!