SubZero Miracle Du Jour

So the SZ has been hovering between 37-44 over the last week. This means the dairy and produce are going bad well before expected, but even more annoyingly a beer at 42 is cold, but it just doesn’t hit the spot. I get the techs out here (literally only one service co for SZ in the area) and it’s a bad coil. BUT! The unit is 11.7 years old - so we’re under the 12 year warranty, b1tches! Per usual, the labor is going to cost more than the part would have, but still. Saving any money on this type of stuff is so rare that I feel it needs to be celebrated.

Congrats!

I had excellent customer service from Dell when the DVD/CD burner went out on the computer. Called them up, I was about 17 minutes away from the end of the warranty, and they sent a new one out. Got it 2 days later.

Our Maytag fridge died just a week inside the 5-year closed system warranty. Do these things have timers or something? The replacement is 5.5 years old now.

Our brand new Wolf gas cooktop was installed and it had several deep scratches in the stainless steel. The scratches were not made by the installer. They are replacing the pan. I know it is brand new but I was concerned that since the damage was cosmetic if you can call deep scratches cosmetic, Wolf would not take care of it. They are so I expect continued good service from them. I only wish I could get a warranty longer than 3 years on the oven. There are a lot of electronics in it.

Knock on wood. I built Carrie a commercial kitchen when I added on to the house in 1992. The ice maker no longer works on the SZ refrigerator and I fear it is near the end of its life expectancy. The Dacor convection ovens occasionally don’t work for a day, (can’t figure that out). I had to replace the racks in the Asko Asea dishwasher. I haven’t had any problem with the Thermador cook top. Both garbage disposals have been replaced once. It’s like owning 5 vintage cars with no spare parts.

Our SZ is approaching 13, and the icemaker started acting up about a year ago. I figured out all I needed to do was reduce the temperature setting to a warmer number (say from 6 to 4) for about 12 hours, and it would start making ice again.

We are very happy with our Wolf appliances but getting good repair work when they’ve needed it has been an issue where we live. Viking was worse 7-8 years ago. Don’t know if that has changed or not.

JD

We’ve had our 36" SZ for about 15 years and it has been nothing but trouble for us. Had it repaired 8+ times with about half of those under warranty. The other 4 have been expensive. One time the door fell off in my wifes hands and slammed to the floor and put a giant dent in our wood floor (hinge broke).

It is in need of major service again and we got quotes of about $2,000. What a piece of sh*t! I got on the phone with corporate about 10 years ago when experiencing many problems and they were no help at all. I plan on trying again soon. I am in the business (home building) and have been advising my clients against SZ for years for this reason.

Funny how popular the brand is and how expensive they are. You can count on them raising their prices 5-10% every year and people line up out the door.

Appliances are clearly made differently than they were a generation ago. It’s like planned obsolescence. Within the span of ten years I’ve replaced a dishwasher, a washing machine, and all the electronics in my oven. Sad and frustrating considering my mother has all of the original appliances in her house that was built in 1988.

Ain’t that the truth! I’ve had a decidedly low-end Gibson kitchen refrigerator since 1981 and in all that time it’s never given me any mechanical problems; the door gaskets need replacing, there are some cosmetic flaws in the finish, but it keeps chugging along and hasn’t stopped cooling properly in over 30 years.

In contrast, my top-of-the-line Maytag Neptune stack washer-dryer has been nothing but trouble. I’d gotten it thinking it would last the rest of my life; it replaced a 1960s vintage RCA Whirlpool washing machine that I’d bought used in the early 80s for maybe $150 and which was trouble free for another 20+ years.