Newport Beach/Costa Mesa/Laguna Recommendations?

My daughter will be spending the summer working in Newport Beach. I am looking for recommendations for really good, but inexpensive restaurants for her. She eats all types of food, particularly loves sushi, Thai, (real) Mexican, Chinese, Korean. Okay, pretty much everything.

She is underage, so wine is not an issue (or an option).

And if you have any recommendations on interesting things for her to do, all the better.

Thanks.

I live in newport…here are a couple of options for a person on a bit of budget…

Bear Flag Fish Co. on the newport peninsula…is a must…$2 taco tuesday and really good cheap seafood…great burritos
Pizza Nova in newport…happy hour in the entire restaurant…I think all food on the happy hour menu is $5…good pizza
Pizza D’ Oro in Costa Mesa is a good hole in the wall place that is cheap and they give you a ton of food.
Sidecar Donuts isn’t cheap, but she will not be disappointed
Crowburger on the newport peninsula is a really good burger and pretty cheap…
Iron Press in Costa mesa is savory waffle place that is good and not too expensive.

[cheers.gif]

The Mitsuwa Market in Costa Mesa is awesome. There are about 8 Japanese restaurants in the food court including a great Ramen chain called Santouka (pork cheek!!) and a Gyutan (charcoal grilled beef tongue). The market itself has lots of supplies for home cooking plus they have classes too.

Taco Mesa (Costa Mesa)
http://www.tacomesa.com

Thai Spice (Costa Mesa)
263 E 17th St
Costa Mesa, CA 92627

I was disappointed by Sidebar Doughnuts. Spent $26 on eight donuts, none of which blew me away. Thought Huckleberry was good and I really enjoyed the Green Eggs & Ham, but at that price, I’d rather go to Krispy Kreme. Ha.

Anyway, Bear Flag Fish Co and Thai Spice are good. Bear Flag has really fresh fish and Thai Spice is just bomb. Both aren’t all that pricey ($8-$10 on average).

This thread is making me hungry.

Seconds to, Bear Flag Fish Co & Santouka.

There is also and new Din Tai Fung in South Coast Plaza (Costa Mesa) http://dintaifungusa.com/ although I have not been to that location.

Cheers,

Jason

Thanks all, much appreciated.

sessions for great sandwiches
Slapfish for casual fish tacos and seafood.
Bear flag opened a new taco joint called wild taco which is really good.
Kean is the best coffee shop. Portola at soco is also good.
Side door in cdm has good small plates.
Gulfstream and bandera are always solid.

I grew up there, so if she has any specific questions, don’t hesitate to reach out.