My First Restaurant Reviews... 4 in Sonoma

My first restaurant reviews. These are all well-known, high-end. Two were disappointing and two kick ass. I plan to do more of these.

Farmhouse Inn, Forestville, $350 (for two, price-fixe with wine, tip, tax)
Nice, victorian styled interior. Noise was low, lighting was very good. Staff was very good, especially the somm. Pacing was a little quick. I had heard amazing things about this restaurant. Some claim it is the best in Sonoma. For myself, I found that the two appetizers were too small, amounting to just two-forkfulls, each. The cost is $79 per for 3 courses and $59 for wine. The main course was excellent, but I find the price of the experience to be too much for the amount and quality of the food. Creativity was moderate. Both appetizers were vegetables and I feel this would be better off with a second main course and slightly larger (and not always veggie) appetizers. The wine pairing, given the quality of the wine poured ($15-25 bottles for the appetizers and $40 for the main course) is just way to expensive. The actual wine list is excellent. In my view, ownership is clearly looking at the profit margin of every component they are doing and instead should be doubling down on quality and let the margin take care of itself. This is not worthy of a Michelin Star and if it were in the Napa Valley, would be outclassed by some restaurants at a lower price and obliterated by many at the same or higher price.
Food = 92, Ambiance = 94, Service = 94

John Ash, Forestville, $260
Another famous restaurant. This is a rather large restaurant attached to the Vintner’s Inn. The serving staff was nice, but not as well trained as they should be. Pacing was a little inconsistent. The interior is showing its age and the owners need to upgrade it. The outside grounds are really beautiful though. It feels like it is stuck in the late 1980s, stylistically. The price-fixe menu is only $65 with $35 for wine. The serving portions are good. The quality of the dishes is good, but not great and the presentation is okay. Although this represents an equal value as the Farmhouse due to the lower price, they also need to seriously up their game. Raise the price and improve food quality and service across the board. The wine selection was not bad, though. John Ash needs to decide what it wants to be.
Food = 89, Ambiance =90, Service =89

Madrona Manor, Healdsburg, $570
Part of the Madrona Manor Hotel. Incredible grounds and beautiful Victorian interior. Has a 19th century look, as opposed to the more modernism Farmhouse Inn. Lots of room inside, which gave it a slightly empty feel, but the ambiance was top-notch. Expensive, with $130 menu and $95 for wine. Pacing was perfect. Attention by staff was excellent. This place goes all out, with more than one amuse bouche and 5 well-proportioned courses, including dessert. The presentation is moderately creative but the food quality made that irrelevant. They have their own garden in back. The meal was stunning and romantic, with caviar, oyster risotto, waygu short ribs, a cheese plate and excellent dessert. The owner was outside working in the garden at 6pm. Very nice wine list. Madrona Manor is a legit one-star Michelin in my mind, perhaps the only one that really deserves a star in Sonoma. Expensive as can be but worth it as a special occasion. Easily the best restaurant in all of Sonoma I have been to, and it’s not even close. Only Meadowood and French Laundry would beat it if this were in Napa.
Food = 96, Ambiance = 95, Service = 96

Willie’s Wine Bar, Santa Rosa, $140 for 3 dishes each and two glasses of wine, tax, tip
A tapas-styled restaurant, with items ranging from $6-14, each. Good wine list, including Peay, with glasses of wine costing $8-14. Friendly staff. Laid back, no need for formality. Indoor and outdoor seating. The dishes are good sized for the price and the food is very good. Very good food with good pacing, this place is one of the best bangs for the buck, if not the best, I have been to in Sonoma so far. It can get busy as well. Liked the curried crab tacos with mint and they have good cheese plates too. This is my go-to in Sonoma when I want good food at a nice price and don’t want to dress up. I actually think the food is as good or better than two of the restaurants I have reviewed here. Perfect after a day of wine tasting in Sonoma.
Food = 92, Ambiance = 88, Service = 90

Thanks for the reviews. I am curious - what wines did Madrona pour for $95 per person?

Do you find that the wine pairings are generally strong in wine country? I have rarely found a restaurant generally around the U.S. that makes them truly worthwhile and most I find seem to use “clever” (but usually cheap choices) to make it seem like they are “trying hard”. In wine country they should be able to find some great choices at great prices and deliver value but I remain skeptical.

Dan, I can’t remember all of them, but the wine pairings was a bit pricey for the wines poured, even at Madrona Manor. They paired a Laroche Chablis, a Mayacamas Cab, Hirsch Pinot… trying to remember the others. Of course when I run the numbers in my head it tells me they are making an enormous profit at $95 per person for the pairings. Even with the wines they used, $75 would have been a little bit more fair.

Your template is already better than Yelp’s. Any photos of notable dishes?

Not a great surprise, given that the one time we’ve dined together you ordered meat for all three courses neener

Interesting you go with the wine pairings, I almost never do that, choosing either to bring wine, or order something off a list. I can’t remember the last time I thought a wine pairing option was either a good price option, or a great choice of wines.

I will find out what the corkage fee is as the restaurant sounds terrific.