Food with Burgundy (Cheese, Hors d'oeuvres, other)

Total Newb, ok have training wheels over the last 6 months with Burgundy, and this weekend a friend and I are going to raise the bar and enjoy a single bottle of each 2010 HN St. Vivant & 2005 DRC LaTache. I hope the many of fellow WB experienced with Burgundy can make some recommendations of food items to pair.

Many thanks!

Vincent

Roast chicken

salmon
duck
chicken livers
are you opening the LT well in advance?

I don’t eat chicken but I would absolutely agree. You want something really simple to let the wine shine. You want some fat but minimal acid and exotic flavors so roast chicken is a perfect call. Stay away from overly sweet, sour, acidic, cheese, etc. Pork loin roasted with herbs and rice pilaf would be another similar idea. Roast potatoes. Keep it very simple.

Agree on roast chicken. Not that I play in those waters but I would have expected 2005 La Tache to be shut down at this point?

But people who actually drink the stuff might be more up to date.

Chicken with potatoes, simple.
Also, morels!!! You can do a sous vide chicken supreme, served with morels and mushrooms cream sauce, and some pommes sautées or mashed.

Alain

Is there still time to trade it in for a '91? :wink:

Seriously, I don’t at all mean to diminish your enthusiasm, and you will certainly be opening one of the great wines of the last decade or so. But please come to the table with the understanding that this wine will not open your eyes as to what the heights of burgundy can be. You’ve called yourself a newcomer to burgundy, so perhaps you are looking for that kind of revelation still? I am afraid you will not get it there. You will get something special, though!

Everyone so far is speaking the right language. Keep it simple. Roast duck or duck breast would be my choice, but Suzanne’s recommendation of roast chicken is also a good one. I just have a personal preference for earthy, nubby northern Italians or villages burgs with roast chicken. Keep sides simple, and sauces to a minimum - meat juice based, not fruity.

Ooh, I like the morel suggestion. I have some on deck for dinner tonight and now I’m in the mood for a Burgundy.

Very timely post. I’m wracking my brain for an appetizer to go w a bottle of 06 Dujac Charmes. Here’s the catch…we are having a steaks w morels for dinner, so I want something that is A) not super filling and B) lighter on the protein.

What about a roast vegetable dish?
-Roast potatoes with thyme flowers and Salmon roe
-Coffee roasted carrots

and/or fresh herb flatbread

I told you, I was only bringing it to have something for me to drink while I watch you cook.

To the OP, it’s been hinted at, but not stated outright, but unless you have multiple bottles of '05 La Tache, or if money is no object, wait 15 years or so to get the most from the wine. There are plenty of ways to cut your teeth in Burgundy without starting at the top. But hey, it’s your wine, and I’ve done plenty of things like that in my life.

Well, don’t you want something to eat with it? You’re gonna want a base! neener

Thanks for all the food recommendations and, well other recommendations too. Great appreciate all the advice! Roast chicken, with morels sound ideal.

For appetizers, I like gougeres or creamed morels on toast. They work equally well with Champagne of course.

gougeres

Jules makes great cream puffs, so gougeres it is. Thanks.

Roast chicken with morilles is a good option. The texture of duck and pigeon matches up to the silky nature of the wines you are going to drink. I would use either one of these as the base and make sure you make a pretty spanky jus.

Update…Thanks for the gougeres suggestion. Super easy, a good departure from the mundane, and a nice platform for other flavors/adjuncts. The recipe called for them to be made the day ahead, but they were much better fresh than they were the next day. Make the batter ahead and pipe them out before company comes.

Huh, I’ve never seen a recipe that calls for cooking the day before. Fresh from the oven is always best as you get the aromas from the warm cheese.

I usually use a strongish somewhat hard cheese for the batter (challahocker, hoch ybrig, etc.) then grate some good parmagiano reggiano on top for extra flavor.

You can also add seasonings, I like the fresh thyme and black pepper combo from the tartine recipe though I don’t use the rest of it.

I must have misunderstood Jules. That makes more sense, thanks.

She used Gruyere with a little crumbled on top. Too much Gruyere imo, but we did talk about crumbling parmaggiano instead. I could even see green onion, smokey bacon, funky prosciutto, or herbed like you mention. It’s an interesting “blank canvas”.