Alsace Restaurants

We will be staying in Eguisheim (just outside Colmar) for several days & I’m looking for restaurants recs. I’m looking for ideas for places to eat. I’d like to do one night at a higher end place (Auberge de L’Ill?), but given the group we are travelling with, will mostly need to concentrate on more moderately priced places. Good, reasonably priced wine lists are a bonus. Thanks in advance.

Jealous! Eguisheim is a great little town with a number of excellent wineries. Just ask the winemakers which Weinstube or Bierstube they prefer or who has the best Tarte Flambee or Baekeoffe in town.

I had a really fantastic meal at http://www.jean-yves-schillinger.com/ in Colmar. Looks like prices are still reasonable with their 4 course meal 62 euros, cheaper for lunch. Modern but very enjoyable.

Just back from Alsace myself. I ate at a few pricey places (La Table du Gourmet in Riquewihr and Restaurant les Tommeries in Rouffach), but mostly at more reasonable places. All our meals were great. Restaurant La Grappe d’Or in Riquewihr is a good spot.

When I’ve been to Alsace, I usually stay in Wettolsheim, next door to Eguisheim. There are two restaurants I never miss…and from the links, it looks like they are going strong. I have been to the Taverne several times with winemakers, who love the place. The Caveau is a great ride (Boxler is down the street, too) up past the Brand…and is all about using various cuts of pork, combined with other simple Alsace traditions, done really well. An experience, too…and a place where many locals hang out…very few tourists up there.

For a high end meal, I certainly would attempt to go to L’Auberge de l’Ill. Great setting; iconic place and good food, too. A real idea of haute cuisine Alsace style. (Went there first on our honeymoon 1n 1983 and was wowed…by the food and the rieslings…and at Xmas time 1999 with a winemaker and his wife…and was no less wowed; our then 12 year old son was mind-boggled at what “they” could do with food.)

There is also a moderate, traditional place in Ribeauville; very scenic outside, etc…near Trimbach. http://www.tripadvisor.fr/Restaurant_Review-g424986-d2307979-Reviews-Wistub_Zum_Pfifferhus-Ribeauville_Haut_Rhin_Alsace.html

But, I wouldn’t miss the three places above if I had the chance.

Report back.

I can’t recommend L’Auberge de l’Ill too much, I’ve been fortunate to go there 3-4 times and each time it was great. Don’t know about the wine prices there.

A few days ago I had diner at La Gare in Guewenheim. They have a 45€ menu which is nice, though not great. What is great though is the wine list, possibly one of the best in France (from what I’ve read). The prices are so low it’s a joke. Some examples include Dauvissat Forest 09 for <45€, Vosne Romanée DRC 2002 at 300€, Rousseau Clos St Jacques 2006 at 235€, Ruchottes 2003 Roumier at 325€ etc. etc. Want La Tâche 2002? 1100€… Tons of Coche Dury, Raveneau… Basically most wines are x2 domaine prices. I had never seen that. Man thinking about it I just want to go back!!! flirtysmile

Alain

Thanks for all the suggestions! As I was looking for places yesterday, it came back to me that on the first trip to France that my wife & I took, our first “nice” meal (and the best meal of our trip, without a doubt) was at La Taverne Alsacienne. It was a fantastic experience & we made the decision last night that we should return.

I’ll have to see about Auberge de l’Ill. Given the group we’re with, I’ll probably get some resistance at those prices & I’m not sure I’m up for footing the bill myself for everybody…

We were in Alsace last fall and dined at La Fourchette des Ducs in Obernai (excellent); Table du Gourmet in Riquewihr (very good - but service was sloppy); d’Brendelstub also in Riquewihr (same owner as previous - more casual, better service); and Zirbelstube in Colmar 9 excellent)

La Taverne Alsacienne is pretty good from what I’ve heard.

I think that to fully appreciate the experience at l’Auberge de l’Ill, you have to get a bit excited about it. If you think that prices will spoil the experience then there are many other options. Again La Gare is good and good Q/P/R for 45€ (the wine list makes it magic), or if you’re willing to drive a few km you can go to the Au Canon d’Or in Mulhouse (30min drive from Colmar, maybe less). The food is very good and prices are more than decent (think 50€/per) for the quality. And again the wine list is awesome. I mean just check this: Au Canon d'Or :: Carte des Vins Prices are very reasonable (likely less than any wine shop you may know).

If you can read a bit of French (or at least pick up the restaurant names in a thread!) I can give you some good links.

Alain

I agree. One of the best lunches of my life was here but try to go in Summer so you can enjoy a drink in the garden overlooking the river before you go inside.

^ I did that a few times! :slight_smile: If you sleep there, you can also have breakfast on a small boat on the river. My parents did that and not surprisingly, they had a great time!

Alain

I liked both the Winstub and the main restaurant (a 1-star, I believe) at Le Chambard in Kaysersburg and also Auberge du Schoenenbourg in Riquewihr. The Winstub is moderately priced, the others are more expensive.