CHEEK of OX

Here in Germany cheek of beef, cheek of pig or cheek of ox is quite en vogue since around 5 years. Perfect for braising and relatively cheap.
Normally I make it with red wine, stock, madeira, soy sauce, aceto balsamico and mirepoix. This time I used no Madeira, aceto balsamico and soy sauce, but used Mole instead. One of the most famous spice dealer in Germany, Ingo Holland, offers Mole spice. In addition as you know braising dishes taste better on Day 2.

http://www.wineberserkers.com/content/?p=2342

Save water, drink wine
Martin

Braising is the way to go with fatty, fibrous (ie, yummy) cuts. Unfortunately, I have only seen expensive cheek around my locale, pork and beef. However, it’s cheaper at the Mexican taco truck?!!?

I paid 15$ for almost 1kg cheeks of ox. Fair to say, special offer.

After 4h on low temperature the meat is such soft you could eat it with a spoon.

Beef cheek has been on our menu for years but fixed a bit differently. My wife is a first gen. Mexican American so we used techniques and recipes from her family. We would buy the whole cows heads at the butcher shop, add a few spices, wrap it in tin foil and the foil in wet burlap. Bury it in the ground in a coal fired pit lined with bricks and let it cook slowly. We can’t do that where we live now so we have to improvise by using the oven. Now that is what I call sweet cheeks. Tender and juicy. A real delicacy and cow’s heads usually aren’t very expensive for some unknown reason. :slight_smile:

I always ate Halibut cheeks as a kind growing up in Seattle because they were essentially free. Now they are very much in style.

They are great value in the UK, if a bit hard to come by. Thanks for helping decide what I will eating this week.