Manhattan, NYC- need sushi recco

My son and myself have agreed to do dinner every other week. Every other time one will pick/pay.

I need a good sushi recco priced about $40 pp, hopefully below 27th street.
Our regular place is deep in Brooklyn.

Thanks in advance.

The flippant answer is “whatever Sarah Kirschbaum recommends”.We’re lucky to have such a resource on this board.

Kanoyama may be at the high end of your range pricewise, but there are a couple of other places in the little Tokyo part of the EV that are pretty good.

Nothing I could recommend comes even close to your price point. Good Sushi + NYC = expensive.

What Paul said although I do like Sushi Seki, on 23rd Street.

They have a “sushi dinner” for $38.00 per person which might suffice.

$40 is tough for dinner probably easier for lunch. Mishima on Lexington is solid and could be around that.

Greetings from Japan and thanks for the kind words, David.

Mike - Not much I can add to what others have said - $40pp is a very limited budget for sushi anywhere, especially in NY. One thing you might consider, if Yaccov’s suggestion of lunch is not an option, is getting some sashimi quality fish from the Lobster Place in Chelsea Market. Have them slice it for you, and take it up to the High Line or down by the river if the weather is good. Their rice is not very good, but they usually have a good selection of oysters and usually a few strong, if basic, fish choices. You can add other items from the market or go to a higher-end Japanese restaurant and get miso soup, perhaps some pickles, to supplement. I have done a similar Sashimi Picnic before and it was lovely.

Thanks all. Italian is a good choice.

Yes, and so is pizza.
Time with family is what will make the meal memorable.
Great idea.
T.

Mike - check out 1 or 8 in Brooklyn. They used to have a sub $40 three course pre-fix earlier in the week. Given its Williamsburg it should be more reasonable.

I must live in sushi heaven. Almost every sushi restaurant in Reno is all you can eat, and the best ones only charge about 23.00 for dinner and around 18 for lunch.

I would rank the quality close to, or equal any place I have eaten on the west coast.