Fried egg protocol

Long story, but this picture sparked a conversation about fried eggs. A friend asked “it’s not sunny side up or over easy…what is it?”
It might be a Texas thing but this is what we call “basted” you break the yolk at the last second and “splash” some hot grease up on it to barely set the yolk.
What say you guys?
image.jpg

you learn something new every day…

but all i can think of is nigel tufnel backstage complaining about that sandwich on the right.

I call that a mistake, since I try to never crack the yoke.

If I’m eating steak and eggs or whatever I don’t break the yolks, I make em sunny and runny, but I was making an egg sandwich and if you make it SSU it just goes everywhere, messy to eat.

I break the yolk, too, when making a sandwich. I crack the egg, break the yolk and try to form the egg into the shape of the bread I’m using/toasting. Then I add crumbled bacon and cooked green onion to the egg and turn it over, allowing it to cook for just a few seconds on the other side. One of my favorites.

Over hard - with a mistake and broke the egg…

Why break the yolk? Baste it with the hot grease a spoonful at a time. I have done this when cooking eggs in bacon fat.

CJ’s egg is over medium. Over hard is when the yolk is dry and light yellow.

Why break the yolk? So it spreads out and is not confined to one or two bites of he sandwich.

I call it not good [pillow-fight.gif]

Sometimes I’ll do a little basting with EVOO or butter but only if the egg is cold. I would never want any “hard” bit of yolk.

Jason

I’ve always understood “basted” to refer to any egg prep where you apply liquid (water or grease) to the top of the egg to set it. If water you would cover it so it steams the top of the egg. I first heard the term from a friend who used to work as a short order book. So it is irrelevant to whether the yolk is broken or not. Like some others here I’ll break the yolk for a sandwich and leave it whole otherwise.

But I thought the main usage was for whole yolks so that you can get it firmed up on top (if that’s what you like) without taking the risk of breakage that you get with an over easy egg.

This is what I do when I cooking eggs along these lines.

I cook just the whites, hate the yolks, and throw them out.

My mother loved the yolks and her sister loved the whites so their breakfast was always amicable. Each of them traded for what they wanted.

I can see a use for whites if making a meringue or cocktails, but few others.

The whites have most of the protein, the yolks most of the flavor (and fat).

^ Actually no, the yolks still have more protein than the whites. Most of the good stuff is in the yolk, so never get rid of them!

You can keep the yolks or whites for future use in an omelette, better than throwing them away!

Alain

Depends. When I’m in full ice cream or cake making mode I get sick of mostly egg white omelettes pretty quickly.

According to the USDA (per the ref below) an average egg has 3.6g protein in the white vs. 2.7g in the yolk (i.e., the white has 33% more).

^ USDA is giving numbers “per average egg” (which means nothing btw), but if you compare by weight (which is how you usually compare food), then yolk has more.

Alain

Say what? The comparison above IS by weight.

If you have contradictory numbers, by all means let’s see them…