Barrel & Ashes in Studio City--eh

I went there last night with friends. Although the place was very busy and obviously has a license to print money, this is not a place to go if you’re looking for a a real BBQ restaurant. I ordered the “half rack” of spare ribs, and it was just four, relatively narrow ribs. Also the ribs were somewhat stringy, tough, and dried out. For $19 for four ribs. I had one beer, the “half rack,” and shared two tiny appetizers with my friends–total tab for me was $40 and I walked out still hungry. The only nice thing is that we got an outside table, so we could actually hear each other talk. Inside the noise level was crazy loud.

We did see Howie Mandel walk in with a small group, so there was that.

Bruce

Sorry to hear about that experience. I live down the street from B&A, but haven’t been there yet. Long lines seem to be the sole reason I haven’t made it over yet, but I’ll give it a go as I have heard from several people that the food is quite tasty. I’m hoping your trip was a fluke as I’ve yet to find a BBQ spot within close proximity that I really like.

Erik–The potato and hush puppy apps were decent, and my friends liked their sandwich entrees. But the ribs were a rip-off. In order to make them look “bigger,” they put them on a larger metal pan and put the pan on the plate. So it looks like you’re getting more ribs than you actually are. YMMV.

Bruce

He brisket is pretty dry too. But the hoe cake is outstanding. Either way, I wouldn’t go back either

Hard to believe that a restaurant with an ampersand in the name would get these kind of reviews

Ha! It is the current trend of restaurant nomenclature.

Bruce

Go to Boneyard Bistro instead.

I suggested it, but my friends wanted to try B&A. Now we know.

Bruce

You will never leave there hungry. We go often with family and friends, and the X-Pensive Winos have had a bunch of dinners there, too. Also worth noting is their last Wednesday of the month seafood boil.

Tough deal. Went there once early on and thought it was good. Maybe with the crowd, they have had to cook things at a higher temperature to satisfy more people. Haven’t been, but also heard good things about the Boneyard. Had a good meal at Horse Thief at Grand Central recently, with the pork ribs and the sausage standing out.

I eat at GCM often, I occasionally get Horse Thief. I feel like they are really inconsistent with their brisket, even when I go right when they open, their brisket can be dry. But their ribs and sausage like you said are pretty good

In the south most BBQ joints are good to better, and a decent percentage are great. It’s typically a very down home casual atmosphere and the food is priced where normal folks can afford it. I have never seen a complaint regarding portion sizes.

Quite the contrast to what I read here.

There are some BBQ places in the LA area where the quality is high and the portions are very fair for the tariff. Like Bludso’s…

Bruce

Yeah, I don’t think it was spot on when we went. Beef needs something that pork doesn’t as much, which is time. It has to be an obsession, which is why it isn’t as good here.

Bruce, for your market, what do you consider a portion size for a “half rack” of either spare or back ribs by quantity? Also, what is your price point for said ribs you are willing to pay if quality is there?

I am currently putting together a business plan for a BBQ joint (NOT a hipster/in crowd/destination place) here in town. I know what places charge here in DFW as well as Houston and Austin, but I would like an El Lay perspective.

TIA

Boneyard Bistro (my local favorite and NOT a hipster place) charges $24/$32 for a 6/12 rack of spare ribs or baby backs, including 2 sides, bread, and corn muffins. Full sit down restaurant with a very wide bar and several dozen rotating handles.

www.boneyardbistro.com

Thanks, Mark.

horsethief bbq in dtla (hipster place) charges $18.95 for 6 ribs + 2 sides with bread.

Bill, non-hipster rib joints here in LA are typically $15-18 for half and $25-29 for full rack.

Bill–You’ve seen the other responses below; that’s more in line with my expectations. Of course, it’s not just the number of ribs, but the overall serving size of the ribs. In the case of B&A, the half rack was pretty small regardless of the # of ribs, they weren’t prepared all that well, and the ribs were completely a la carte.

Regardless of how one slices it (so to speak), if I spend $40 on a rib dinner and still walk out hungry, something just isn’t right.

Bruce