First Smoke on the Weber Smokey Mountain 22.5" - Spare Ribs

Some commentary along the imgur gallery: http://imgur.com/gallery/2NdIT/new

Here’s the money shot for posterity

Ribs were pretty damn delicious. Didn’t get really full rendering on the cartilage-end of the spares (the tough to eat bits)… but from what I’ve tasted at other spots, that never really cooks down all the way, and you just have to nibble around the impermeable fat bits.

However, just a simple rub (salt pepper very small amounts of cayenne paprika garlic onion mustard), smoke, wrap, little bit of liquid. Turned out pretty damn well, even despite the issues I had with fire management. Was worried a bit, have read that ribs are pretty unforgiving if your heat yoyos (which mine did from 250, to 290, backdown to 210, up to 270, then cooling quickly before i wrapped).

Chopped up the leftovers, fried them off for tacos this morning :wink:

ok…that works…nicely done…

Those tacos look as good if not better than the ribs themselves. Nicely done with a relatively higher maintenance cooking tool

they were delicious indeed. low & slow meats always take on a new and amazing character when chilled, diced up and fried to just crisp up and soften the reset gelatin and fat. plus you get to spice things up a bit more!

Nick - you hit it on the head. Leftover rib taco’s are amazing once crisped up in a pan.