Chimichurri

Anyone have a good Chimichurri recipe? Anyone use it dry as a rub?

Thanks.

Hey Bill,
I’ve had and made the following recipe with pretty good results. Straight from the book “Seven Fires”.

1 cup water
1 tablespoon coarse salt
1 head garlic, separated into cloves and peeled
1 cup packed fresh flat-leaf parsley leaves
1 cup fresh oregano leaves
2 teaspoons crushed red pepper flakes
1/4 cup red wine vinegar
1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil

1. To make the salmuera (brine), bring the water to a boil in a small saucepan. Add the salt and stir until it dissolves. Remove from the heat and allow to cool.

2. Mince the garlic very fine and put in a medium bowl. Mince the parsley and oregano and add to the garlic, along with the red pepper flakes. Whisk in the red wine vinegar and then the olive oil. Whisk in the salmuera.

3. Transfer to a jar with a tight-fitting lid, and keep in the refrigerator. Chimichurri is best prepared at least 1 day in advance, so that the flavors have a chance to blend. The chimichurri can be kept refrigerated for up to 2 to 3 weeks.

From Greg and Gabby of OX Restaurant in Portland

Mint Chimichurri
• ½ cup fresh Italian parsley leaves, chopped
• 2 tbsp fresh spearmint, chopped
• 1 tbsp fresh oregano, chopped
• ½ cup yellow onion, minced
• 1 tsp fresh garlic, finely minced
• ½ cup good-quality extra-virgin olive oil
• 2 tbsp fresh Meyer lemon juice
• 2 tbsp red wine vinegar
• 1 ½ tsp kosher salt
• 1 tsp freshly ground black pepper

COMBINE all ingredients and let sit for at least half an hour and up to one day.

couple good recipes there. chimichurri is delish.

Kenny,

If you don’t have the above references book, Seven Fires, I recommend it.

Agreed, very good book.

Also, chimichurri with Flannery hanger is pretty righteous.

Peyton’s recipe is pretty much it (although, truth be told, I’ve never really added the oregano…can’t imagine it would detract anything).

Chimichurri is wet not dry.
It is a condiment not a rub, although I think it could be used as a marinade.
I aways make it with lots of fresh parsley, garlic, chilis (serrano or jalapeno) and white vinegar

Mine is generally similar to Peyton’s depending one what I have on hand but I do generally try to include cilantro and a serrano.

Jason

Gracias, will order.