Chicago El Ideas Pairing Advice

Heading to El Ideas this weekend. If anyone has been, what would you suggest that I bring for two of us? Was considering a half bottle of bubbles for starters, and maybe a Red Burg?

Current menu: http://elideas.com/menu/

Just to be clear, it’s BYO.

The only time that I have gone we brought a bottle of Champagne (maybe it was Rose) and a bottle of red Burg. I think that would work as you suggest for this menu.

Pairing quality was hit and miss as the food is all over the place with flavors and textures. Most of the courses were sufficiently small that most of our wine drinking was done in between courses when the pairing didn’t matter as much.

If we go again, I might consider starting with a young fresher type Champagne and then going with an older great Rose Champagne as the second bottle for the heavier courses. A number of years back I remember going to a Ruinart dinner at NoMi where Champagne was served through the whole meal including the meat courses and with the right older Rose, it worked very nicely. I typically don’t love Champagne enough to have it exclusively for the night but with such a varied tasting menu, it might do better than a Burg.

Dan

What is their corkage?

I don’t recall what if any was their corkage - they don’t sell wine/drinks so everyone BYOs.

Thanks Dan, I appreciate your insight. I might go with a Pinot rather a Burg, since my gf prefers new world.

Bring a Champagne and then after that it is a crap shoot. I went with Chris Freemott and we just hauled a bunch of stuff in and opened what looked good. I remember Chablis worked well also… don’t quite remember a lot of reds. It is impossible IMO to look at the menu and figure it out. I found the meal to be good, but not great. Wine service/glasses are minimal.

George