Wine pairing recommendation for beef tongue

I love beef tongue and my sweet wife is making some for the weekend. She brined it in salt, sugar, cloves and peppercorn. It will be served with a little onion, garlic, mustard seed sauce. Very tasty.

We have had it before with a California cab and a Washington Syrah and both paired well, but I can’t remember specifically which wines they were.

What would you recommend for it?

I am ‘mtpisgah’ on CT if you want to peruse my cellar.

NV Henri Goutorbe Champagne Brut Rosé Grand Cru
1995 Kalin Cellars Chardonnay Cuvée LV

I’ve got a beef tongue on the menu right now and I’m paring it with a sparkling pinot nero from the Piedmonte, which made me think of the Goutorbe. Plus also, the Goutorbe is freaking delicious. I haven’t had the 95 Kalin but I’ve had the 99 and the richness should be perfect with that saucing.

Interesting suggestions, I may just have to try one of those. I was actually thinking of the Goutorbe to go with an appetizer so I may have to try the Kalin with the tongue.
Thanks.

save a glass of the goutorbe for the tongue, please, just to humor me.

beer and soju
sake
citrusy champagne

how did it go?

My wife changed the menu to beef tongue tacos so we she nixed the idea of the Gourorbe or Kalin and we had a 2007 Guigal CdP with it. We will be having beef tongue with the originally planned menu this Saturday though and we will be opening the Gourtorbe for another course and I promise I will save some. I am interested to see how it does.

I love me some pickled beef tongue with a Dr. Brown’s Black Cherry soda.

are you serious about the 07 CdP or are you perpetuating the running pairing joke? newhere

One Paul would not kid another Paul. My wife went to the cellar and pulled it out, all I did was open it. While it would not have been my first choice, it was a good wine. It was not hot like people say most 2007’ CdP’s are, I felt it was well integrated and very smooth. Unfortunately I don’t think they are built to age much longer.

lengua tacos om nom nom

spicy garnish (pickled onions + habaneros?) + an amazing spatlese!

agree Nick, Lengua tacos, mmmmm.

I smoked, then poached a beef tongue once and paired it with Oregon Chardonnay. http://www.wineberserkers.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1202096

And to your point about 07 CDP Paul, I agree certain producers pulled it off. It’s a good reminder I should start drinking some as I have a dozen or so. It’s hard to keep my vintages straight sometimes because 07 in Oregon was very cool and made elegant wines that are just now opening up.

I need to pop a 2007 Pegau soon to see how it is. Some people have said it does not suffer from being too hot and goopy either. I hope that is the case since I have half a case.

Hope you got some mutton to pair with that barnyard. :slight_smile: