Braising

Even as we enter the warmer months of the year, I still love a great braise. Made this easy boneless veal breast last weekend. Recipe was from Marco Canora (Hearth NYC)'s Salt to taste. Really delicious except I set oven much lower at 250 instead of the recommended 375…braised for 4 hours. Fridge’d the sauce overnight to shum the fat off the top layer. Sliced the roll into slices and served w. mashed potatoes and the reduced sauce on top.

EDIT: Totally forgot to mention…Drank this down with an Anthill Farms 2012 Sonoma Coast Syrah. Not a lot of love for this wine on cellartracker, but its a nicer version of a CA Nthrn Rhone…a little less structure than their peters ranch or campbells versions (but not flabby), so early drinking is both delicious and recommended.

What are your favorite braises? Anything interesting? Ethnic? Different?

that is a fine looking piece of meat.

I usually do oxtail or pork belly braise with soy sauce and other asian spices. Over rice is deliciousness

That is a great cut. I used a veal breast years ago in a bolito misto, shredded what remained, and made a pasta sauce with it. Maybe the only sauce I would describe as “juicy”.

Wish I had a reliable source for it around here. Not always available.

This one is a huge hit, always… the aromatics of the garlic, ginger, cinnamon, peppercorns, thyme and bay leaf really infuse the meat, and it is best on the second and third day. I have always used boneless short ribs with excellent results—

BRAISED BEEF SHORT RIBS
With long, slow braising, the meat becomes tender and falls off the bone, and the juice does wonders for your soft, creamy bed of polenta. Browning the meat before braising it adds color and flavor, plus helps render out some of the fat. The sauce may be left brothy or thickened with beurre manie or butter at the end. If you thicken with the butter-flour mixture, be sure to simmer the sauce long enough to get rid of the raw-flour taste. Serve with polenta or mashed potatoes and a green salad or a favorite vegetable.

INGREDIENTS
4 1/2 pounds beef short ribs
1 small yellow onion, chopped
Olive oil as needed
4 garlic cloves, peeled and bruised
8 slices of fresh ginger, bruised
4 cinnamon sticks
1 teaspoon whole Sichuan pepper, or black peppercorns
1 bay leaf
1 cup dry red wine
6 tablespoons soy sauce
2 cups low-salt beef or chicken broth
2 teaspoons pomegranate concentrate (I usually sub Hoisin sauce with great results)
1 tablespoon tomato puree
1 tablespoon brown sugar
2 thyme sprigs
Chopped Italian parsley or green onions for garnish (optional)

INSTRUCTIONS Cut the short ribs apart. Working in batches, brown them on all sides in a Dutch oven over high heat. Set aside.
Drain the excess fat from the pot and begin sweating the onion, adding a little olive oil as needed. Add the garlic, ginger, cinnamon, peppercorns and bay leaf. Saute until aromatic, then add the wine.

Cook until almost dry, then add the soy sauce, broth, pomegranate concentrate, tomato puree and brown sugar. Stir to combine. Add the short ribs and thyme. Add more broth or water to bring the level of the liquid about halfway up on the meat.

Bring to a simmer, then cover and cook at a bare simmer for 2 1/2 to 3 hours, or until the meat and connective tissues are soft when tested with a knife tip, and are almost falling off the bone. Transfer the meat to a warmed serving platter and cover loosely.

Strain the braising liquid, then cook until reduced in volume and the flavor has concentrated to your taste. Skim off the fat and adjust the seasonings, then pour over the short ribs. Garnish with parsley, if desired.
Serves 4

That dish looks fantastic! I have never seen this cut at retail. And thank you for the short rib recipe Robert, I love them!

I love a Carbonnade made with local sour beer. Leave it in the pizza oven overnight once the temp drops below boiling.