Kosher for Passover chocolate coconut dessert squares

I talked my mother out of her recipe so we can make it for the Seder for 100 people that we run every year.

Amounts are approximate.

For the crust, which is really just a bottom: Mix 1-1/2 cups kosher for Passover cake meal, 2/3rds stick softened butter, three tablespoons brown sugar and 2 eggs together until fully mixed and it gets crumbly. It will not form dough. That’s enough to make about 130 square inches of crust. I used two 9 inch diameter silicone baking pans. Put a bit of oil in the bottom of the pan and press the crumbled cake meal mixture into the bottom with your hand. The bake for 10 minutes at 350 degrees. Remove from the oven.

While the crust is baking, mix together:

2 cups chocolate chips.
1-1/4 cups shredded coconut
1 cup brown sugar
six eggs
pinch of salt

Pour the mixture into the baking dishes on top of the crust, return to oven, bake fr an additional 25-ish minutes until it starts to brown on top.

Remove and let cool. Cut into squares. The silicone baking pans, which I have bought but never used, were GREAT. Very easy to remove the finished stuff from the pans.

I made a second batch with butterscotch chips and chopped cashews instead of chocolate and coconut. Worked fine.

Thanks, Jay. Question - sweetened or unsweetened coconut?

Who cares. What time should I come over? flirtysmile

I used sweetened because it was what they had at the store. I think if you are going to go whole hog (oxymoron intended) you might as well use sweetened.

Are you in White Plains on Saturday? Stop by at Kol Ami at about 7:45. I will be the one sitting near the door to the kitchen with the NOT KOSHER FOR PASSOVER SAXUM AND CAYUSE. We should be serving dessert right about then. Tonight I am making two more variations - chocolate pistachio and butterscotch coconut. If I have enough crust, I will also make a chocolatebutterscotchwalnutpistachioalmondcashew.

I’ll be in Milan eating K for P goodies.

Last night I made a chocolate/pistachio square and a butterscotch/coconut square and an almond/walnut/pistachio/cashew square. All strictly Kosher for Passover, if you ignore the utensils.