La Valencia in La Jolla - Some good wine finds

Stayed there four days this past Spring Break. A gorgeous, historic, utterly charming property. I would stay again there. The location on the coast is beautiful.

I was rather impressed with the wine list, for a hotel. A decent mix of old world and new world. A nice line-up of BV and Heitz back to the '70s.

I was most impressed, however, with some geeky, well priced wines that the Sommellier told me he personally picked but they don’t get much play. He was excited that I commented to him about these offerings, and we shared a nice glass of Clape together.

The list had:

Donnhoff
Chidaine
Some Nice Gruners
Domaine Baumard
Foillard
Clape
Plouzeau
Alliet

All well priced. Paid $75 for the 2011 Clape Cotes du Rhone, $45 for the Plouzeau, $55 for the Donhoff.

I agree. A beautiful place and a very nice wine list!

We stayed there last summer, but always ate out at other restaurants and I never looked at their wine list… I’ll remember that next time!! Beautiful place, spending a day at the pool is so relaxing.

Did you get to the nearby art galleries? We really enjoyed Madison Gallery (within walking distance) and some other which I’d need to check my notes for names.

A beautifully redone hotel from the 20’s. We stayed a couple times in the last year and had a great room on the 8th floor with a great ocean view. I didn’t check the wine list though. George’s at the Cove restaurant, a few doors down, is doing some great things, both in the upscale restaurant (Modern) and upstairs with those amazing views.

This is really an amazing place to visit and I also like the wine list.