Recipe Challenge. Help.

I need to cook something tonight and just realized how many of the things I rely on are crossed off the list.

I need a main course and I cannot use chicken (or any chicken product e.g. stock), dairy or onion.

Right now I am thinking risotto and maybe an olive oil poached fish.

*** updated to also include no gluten.

Other thoughts?

Jason

Flannery steak, green beans, and a salad.

pasta aglio e olio

more of a first course

A quick stir fry with beef or pork, all veg you like (no onion), sesame oil, soy, hoisin if you like.

The possibilities are almost endless.

Potato pancakes with smoked salmon on top.

Paella with fish/shrimp, chorizo, etc. no onion, more garlic.

You don’t say if this is just for the family or for an event, so that might make a difference. In a pinch, a nice pasta dish is easy and versatile. You can make a red sauce with some veggies and cook some meatballs or sausage separately. Then, if there are vegetarians, serve pasta with sauce. For the rest, they can add meatballs or sausage to their plates.

Or, ask Chef Brock to prepare something for you!

OOOOPS! I forgot to mention gluten is out as well. No pasta.

J

There’s no hope, then.

Quinoa salad with a piece of fish that has been slaughtered humanely or animaly

What do you want to drink?

If you’re going gluten free then rice is an obvious choice.

You say no onions, is garlic okay? If so there’s not much problem.

Steak, duck, salad (no croutons), fish, roast vegetables, etc., etc.

We aren’t picky. I think I am going to open a '93 Kalin Chard and a 02 Littorai Pinot.

The day got away from me so now I’ll just hit the store and see what looks good. I like the Paella idea or maybe a stir fry but will have to skip soy products. I’ll see how the steaks look too. Maybe I’ll just make a bunch of stuff and skip the sit down thing. Kids will be going bonkers anyway.

Potato pancakes. What would be a good gluten free binder?

Garlic is fine. Only onions are out.

Cheers,

Jason

What’s wrong with piece-o-protein (herb and olive oil rub, or perhaps mustard if you use a gluten free brand), salad (vinaigrette made with gluten free vinegar), and a veggie side? Perfectly balanced and delicious meal, and very much what we make most nights.

Nothing wrong with any of this. Just needed some ideas to light a spark in my head since it is rare that I make a meal without, butter, or onion, or miso, or some type of gluten, or less so but also chicken products. But I need to start!

So mustard has gluten?

Thanks all!

J

My understanding, which is admittedly rudimentary, is that some vinegar has gluten, so sometimes mustard can as well, if the vinegar in it does. There are tons of products, both mustards and vinegars, that are gluten-free, though.

I was just thinking back over our dinners this week, and realized that nearly everything we ate can fit your bill. Just accidentally, as we don’t really have any dietary restrictions. The coincidence is amusing.

Monday - from delivery, kebabs combo (could just have lamb or fish or beef) over salad, no bread. Used our own dressing made without any dairy.

Tuesday - leftover pulled pork over mixed greens with cucumber, pickled carrot/daikon and cucumber. Poached egg on top (not sure if that counts as chicken, but could easily be left off)

Wednesday - spicy lamb neck and cauliflower soup, made with no chicken stock or grain/starch/rice fillers, just lamb, spices, veggies and a little wine. I think we used a bit of homemade veal stock, but that’s not necessary either as the lamb is quite rich.

Thursday - raw tuna and avocado with ginger juice and sesame oil. We used a little soy, but it’s unnecessary and could easily be left out for the gluten-intolerant. We also sprinkled chopped scallions on top, but these are also easy to leave off. Plus more of Wednesday’s soup.

Friday - roasted pork chops rubbed with mustard and tarragon, sauteed zucchini, salad with homemade vinaigrette, cucumber, a little feta (not necessary), and roasted red peppers.

Tonight we’re roasting a chicken and will have it with roasted broccoli and more salad, but any protein could be substituted.

I guess we unwittingly cook within your restrictions!

Hah. I guess I’ll just hire you to cook next time.

I forgot to mention that corn and corn products were out too.

Just to end the scene, here is what I did. With permission I broke a few rules but only slightly. The final two dishes were cut up and plated at the middle of the table. Everyone just grabbed with chopstix, forks, or fingers.

To start, I had some fresh lemons from a friend so I made lemon vinaigrette with, lemon zest and juice, garlic, dijon mustard, and EVOO. Plus S&P. Added this to arugula, cremini mushrooms, and topped with a few parmigiano-reggiano shavings.

Next was sesame seed crusted seared tuna with 2 dipping sauces (1 w/o gluten). I cut up a bunch of ginger and garlic and added it to some white and rice vinegar. Then added ponzu, chili oil, mirin, and a little soy sauce. I left out the ponzu and added gluten free soy sauce to the second batch.

Then straight up steak. I got two large cuts. 1 rib eye and 1 new york. Pan seared in the iron skillet and with permission, finished with a basting of butter. I did deglaze the pan with a little red wine and finished that with butter as well. Poured over the cut up steak.

I had some other things to turn to if I needed like poached eggs are an omelette but we were all stuffed. High fives all around.

Cheers,

Jason