steak in the oven?

this winter when my smoker was frozen over I did a ribeye in the oven at 200’ then seared on screaming hot cast iron on the stove. The first time I did it-it was great, the 2nd time I went a little too far.

anyone ever go this way?

-paul

for ribeyes, this is my only way to cook. pull at 110F internal (use a digital probe with an alarm), sear, and you should be fine. Also, the pan doesn’t need to be screaming hot. the upside of the oven is that it dries the exterior of the steak, so much less energy has to go in to browning the outside than normal (where you first need to evaporate surface moisture).

supplementing with a blow torch is optional. but results are great and it’s a lot of fun.

So, “oven first, stovetop after” is better than the inverse? I’ll give it a shot.

Recent convention seems to be trending to sear just before serving.

I think the difference is temp and time - oven first = low temp, long time. sear first = high temp, shorter time.

Personally I usually do steaks/pork chops/etc on nights when I want a quick cook, so I’ve never gotten around to trying this.

Same.
250f.
Sear in butter and aromatics.

250f for how long?
(say for 1.5 inch thick, 1 pound steak)… roughly how long? or just take internal temp to 110F?

then sear in butter for how long? 30 seconds a side?

finally - what do you roast in oven with? do u put steak IN the cast iron in the oven, then use the same to sear or?

not even close unless maybe you have a restaurant range.

had an epic battle on fb with scott manlin about this. i think 250 is too high, but it probably doesn’t matter much. at lower temps, it certainly takes longer, but you’ll get a more even cook. think of it as a dry sous vide

i put the steak on a wire rack so that all surfaces are exposed to the heat. use a digital probe with an alarm and pull at 110F, sear in hot pan with whatever you want until you get some good color. rest a bit and carve

You all can hang me later, but I like to put the steaks on my BGE raw so they can go low, slow, and soak up some wood flavor. Then take them in, hot sear each side, and wrap in foil with thin slab of butter on top to rest for 5-8. Maybe not restaurantish but pure Awesomeness.

that sounds awesome.

not sure i can do that in my 15th floor pre-war building in NYC tho… :frowning:

I always sear first. You get the best sear on a dry piece of meat and when it has been in the oven it tends to be juicy and wet on the exterior. The energy that goes into drying the meat before it sears simply cooks it more.

this is literally the exact opposite of truth.

This is what I’ve come to learn as well. … Myth: Searing Steaks Seals In The Juices

If I’m using my skillet, I’ll generally:

• sear it at a high temp for 2-3 mins on each side
  • drop it on a roasting pan and coat with butter on top
  • stick in a pre-heated Breville at 500, which effectively acts as a salamander

Key to the sear is to make it short and hot; anything longer than 3 mins (at least in my experience) gives you a ring of well-done meat with pink inside. I’ll Neapolitan ice cream, but not Neapolitan steaks :smiley:

Also, if you’ve got a NY or a rib-eye that still has a decent amount of fat on one edge, consider rendering fat off of that to for the pan, rather than butter, for the initial sear. Originally read about that technique via Traci des Jardin’s “how to cook a rib-eye.” FWIW, she’s in the pan-sear and stick the skillet in a 500 degree oven camp.

I’m indifferent at the temp really, I’ve gone as low as 225 and as high as 275. 200 is a little low for me, as it almost takes on a sous vide texture.

But ya wire rack very important. Also mark, I’d say probably 20 minutes~. I sear in butter for a total of two minutes or so, constantly flipping and basting. I flip every 15 seconds or so. It’s really to just get color

Yep, do this frequently. A lot of times I just slice off a bit of the fat from the side and render it on its own in the pan before putting the steak in.

FWIW saw America’s Test Kitchen use this same method i.e. oven at low temp and then sear on stove top. They claimed that this was the way to go as it produced a more evenly done piece of meat.

Cheers,
Curt

Thanks Yaacov, Charlie, etc., next steak I’ll try the sear last. I had always done it first previously.

For me, I go one minute per ounce of meat in a 225 deg F oven. Rack is important as is a two hour pre salting.