Vancouver for one night?

Any suggestions for tomorrow?

Right now I am planning on going to VIJs? Is it difficult to get in? Do they have wine?

Any other winebar, restaurants lunch or street cart suggestions?

Vij’s is easy to get in… there’s no reservation so no way you don’t get a seat :slight_smile:
of course you could wait 1.5 hrs… so one of two methods works…

1. go 30 mins before they open… line up get in on the first wave. eat then go for night cap somewhere else

2. go whenever you feel like (after they open). sign up your name. go to nearby “West”'s bar area for a drink… come back and go to vij’s waiting area for some free chai/small bites
    West - http://www.westrestaurant.com/

Lots of restaurants… what type are u looking for?

Thanks for the tips on VIJ’s - do they have a winelist?

yah simple, quaffable, relatively inexpensive from what i remember…
very small list too… nothing that we would think of as a 'wine list"…

then again the food is indian, so outside of a riesling or something, the spices would overpower most wines…
have a beer, or better yet, drink the free chai they pass out… it’s dang good chai. :wink:

I’m a fan of West. Their menu is on line. You have to email them to get the current wine list. When I went (a year ago), it was outstanding and as I recall they set me and my date up with a petit verdot that I would never have chosen on my own (it was perfect with the food).

If you’re a coffee guy, go to Thierry for their espresso drinks, but even moreso for their hot chocolate. You might not be a hot chocolate guy (I’m not) but I go every time I’m in BC because it’s a singular experience.

L’abattoir is tops for me. really nice place.

A bit more hipster, you could check out Wildebeest.

and YVR does fusion better than any city I know of, you could try Kingyo or Guu.

Generally wine is double the cost as the US. So I’d just order a cocktail or a local beer if it’s important to drink while you eat.

L’Abattoir is my vote, awesome cocktails and food, miss that restaurant

I thought Vij’s was ok/good but given all of the praise I was not blown away. The winelist was fine and had a number of good rieslings.

Junoon in NYC does Indian fusion much better:

Robert, if you are still in Vancouver try Bao Bei (http://www.bao-bei.ca) - it is fantastic (they are known for the cocktails vs. wine) and the high end Hawksworth in the Hotel Georgia was just named second best restaurant in Canada. La Quercia is our best Italian in the city and is delicious. Hope you enjoy!

Anyone been to Bauhaus? I’m hearing good things.

WE just dined at Le Crocodile-French and Blue Water-seafood. Both were excellent. Lyle, the sommelier at Le Crocodile really made our evening. BC wines are quite good and worth trying. A bonus was the 78US-100Canadian I was charged by my cc. Nice discount.

Another vote for La Quercia. I’ve been going there several times a year (sometimes twice in a week) since it first opened circa 2009. It’s a high point of every visit to Vancouver. Adam Pegg, the chef, really has managed to recreate Piemontese cuisine very authentically – a rarity in North America.

On multiple visits in the past year, Tavola on Robson at Denman in the West End has also been very satisfying. A changing, imaginative Italian menu and a very good wine list at reasonable prices (not so common on British Columbia).