Intro

Last night we went to Intro in Chicago. For those that are unaware it’s a new concept by Lettuce Entertain you where they’ll be bringing in guest chefs on a rotating basis to cook for 3 months or so. In essence an extended pop up. They are using the ticket system developed by Next. We we did BYO and they offer wines by the glass as well as a cocktail menu. The first chef was CJ Jacobson from Top Chef. Without going through the whole menu I will say that each course was interesting and delicious. We all had our favorites but everyone finished it all. The chef is into foraging and of course using local farms but he did present the food in an appealing way. I was initially luke warm to the concept but after dining there last night I’m much more excited. This could be a very interesting new addition and a way for Chicagoans to get a chance to eat the food of chefs from around the country.

We’ve been wary - this is encouraging - thanks! what was the corkage?

LA did something like this twice. The first time it popped really well and rotated through 15+ chefs but they were changing them sometimes as quick as every 4 days.

Another one opened up with 3 months rotating and after the second chef, it closed down =(. Great space too. Probably cause the 2nd chef was so unimpressive and they couldn’t line up anyone else

Chef’s Club NY (and Chef’s Club Aspen) do this too and I think they’ve been very successful.

The chef’s name is Jacobson, not Anderson.

Thanks Tom. I’ll correct. I failed to mention the room was very inviting. Warm and comfortable. As usual the staff provided great service. Friendly ,knowledgable and efficient. I believe the corkage was $30 but to be honest I don’t pay it. Our guests did since I brought the wine.

Nick,

Thanks for the review. We will have to give it a shot.

George

we’re going on Saturday. Pairings seem reasonably priced, so just going with that.

Corkage is $30, and they seem to be quite welcome to it (here is the FAQ on their website):

Can I bring my own wine to dinner?
We are delighted that you are bringing in your special bottles to enjoy here. Our corkage fee is $30 per bottle.

Lucky you. CJ made some incredible stuff in the most recent Top Chef. I find the foraging angle exciting.

Looks like Lettuce is going to put in a new sushi restaurant next to Intro in collaboration with Juno owners Jason Chan and B.K Park. Could be cool!

George

Hmmm maybe some reasons to dig out that LEYE card … nice to see good openings.

Going to try Intro with a friend this week - any comments on wine pairings?

(Considering taking something but not sure yet- Liquid Farm Chard? Mattiasson Rose? Riesling which to me is always the right wine? as the menu looks light until the final beef course or am I way off here … still so much to learn)

Ate there last night and it was very good. The first course - fluke is high in acidity so IMO the way to go is Champagne or Riesling. The second course potato and the third course salmon are best with Red Burgundy which could also carry you through the beef course. We did a white burg and red burg with the potato dish and the red was a better pairing IMO. The dessert is chocolate based, we were comped some 1980 Warres which was great.

George

Thanks so much George - that’s super helpful - and encouraging to hear it was good. Do they have a decent wine list or pairings?

The wine list is very minimal. Maybe 10 bottles total. Nothing I would buy. Bring wine.

George

Red a debate burgundy go with everything IMO. If I was going with one other I’d bring one bottle and then supplement by the glass.

Really looking forward to going back.