All my Philly knowledgeable friends. I need advice

I have asked my wife to indulge me for my 54th. I had gone to Philly a few years ago but seemed to miss a lot. Any thoughts as to must sees and maybe some thoughts on itinerary?

Love Johns pork sandwich. Need an awesome pizza recco.

Thanks!

Mike

While I still have never been there, Tacconelli’s always seems to be at the top of everyone’s list. For pizza. One note - you need to order the dough in advance. My understanding is that it is BYOB.

Off-hand must sees -
the usual suspects: Barnes museum; Museum of Art; Reading Terminal Market (have lunch there)
others: I was dragged to the National Constitution Center and ended up really enjoying it; if the weather is good and you can get out to the northwestern end of the city, hike the Wissahickon gorge (you can stroll on the gravel Forbidden Drive or truly hike on the forest trails).

Restaurants: Fork; High Street on Market; Petruce et al; Vedge; Will; Noord; Laurel.

Pizza: Tacconeli’s is old school. There are lots of new neapolitan places: Nomad; Pizzeria Vetri; Bufad
and some restaurants that serve great pizza: Barbuzzo; Osteria

I never miss a hoagie from Sarcone’s deli at the north end of the Italian market. on their house baked seeded Italian. I like the C.C. and the Sinatra.

Mike…have you ever been to Delorenzo’s Tomato Pie…which is , I think, en route for you? (You live on Staten Island?) Just off Turnpike Exit 7a. PIzza Nirvana for me and many many others. http://www.delorenzostomatopies.com/

IMO, Philadelphia is not a pizza town in the sense of age-tested, traditional “Philadelphia” pizza places. I can think of none except Tacconelli’s , which is good, but stands out , as much as anything, because it is different. It’s the
“best” here, by some criteria, maybe mine, too, but mainly by default. And, it has quirky requirements. Look them up before if you go. The rest of the scene here is the interchangeable high heat, fresh mozz, Italian wood burning ovens. Lots of new such places have opened in the last 5-6 years. They are all a blur to me, though good.

If you’re looking for a memorable cheesesteak, which is by far my favorite in the 39 years I’ve been living here, it is Mama’s , just outside the city limits. (Also with quirky hours, etc. So busy, they’re open 4 days a week.) I try to limit myself to 3 times a year, but am always looking for a reason to go there. http://www.yelp.com/biz/mamas-pizzeria-bala-cynwyd

And, if you’ve never been, the Reading Terminal Market is a must. The Barnes is unique and well worth the visit…world reknowned museum, recently moved into the city. Not for walk-in though.

Not sure what else you’re looking for?

Many restaurants in Philly are BYOB.

Mike - when are you in town? Now that you’ve seen the light about pinot noir, we might have something to say to each other! [wink.gif]

Some good suggestions so far. Agree with Stuart that Philly isn’t really a pizza town. By far the best is at our house, but the reservation is hard to come by. :slight_smile: In addition to the traditional cheese steak, there’s another great Philly sandwich of pork, sharp provolone and broccoli rabe (no, I’m not kidding) which is definitely worth a try while in town. Reading Terminal can offer a good version.

Take a walk through the Italian market if you can, there’s lots to be seen and tasted. Surprisingly, there’s a terrific place making fresh tortillas daily. There are also some very good Vietnamese joints.

Enjoy!

All great stuff. Sarah, I will be there around April 10th or so. We were there about 4 years ago and it was fun but we seemed to get a bit confused about bearings and finally found Johns where I had the awesome roast pork sandwich. I have been to Reading on a business trip. I may venture there agin. Which places are good in there? The market is great. I wanted to venture outwards just a bit more and keep it all food-related. I have museums here. :slight_smile:

Don’t know if you’re into beer, but Monk’s Café is world class.

For cocktails there’s The Franklin Mortgage & Investment Co.

Be sure to stop by the Mütter Museum to work up an appetite…

Sabrina’s for Sunday brunch. You can easily share the Stuffed Challah French Toast. Menus | Sabrina's Cafe

I prefer Marigold for brunch, which is in the same area as Sabrina’s, because Sabrina’s is soooo heavy, but to each his own.

Best cheesesteak (in my opinion and at risk of starting a war) is Dalessandro’s:

In addition to high end places already mentioned, we love Vernick. No BYO there, though.

Agree on Dalessandro’s as the best cheesesteak!

Have either of you (or both) been to Mama’s?

I can understand not thinking Mama’s is the best or even not liking it (it is in a quality league of its own, for better or worse-- which might be an oxymoron for most steak stands like those in this post.). But…Dalessandro’s as the “best”??? I don’t even think it’s good. (I’ve been trying to like it since 1975, too; I try it again every decade and end up not going again). I’d rather go to the iconic Pat’s, which is the prototype of the Geno’s, D’allesandro’s, Tony Luke’s, Jim’s style. At least there’s an icon behind the grease…sort of like a solera system.

Just curious.

Not sure how to read this, but just in case - the Reading Terminal market is in Center City Phila, not in Reading PA.

Trying to like it since 1975? Wow, clearly your culinary impairments have plagued you for quite a while. My sympathies. [wink.gif]

But if you like Pat’s, then by all means go and get in line behind all the Japanese tourists.

Have not been to Mama’s. Haven’t even heard of it.

Yeah the market. I forget there is a Reading PA.

I have not been to Mama’s. I will need to give it a try.

Let me know what you think, Steve. I’d be curious. It’s unlike most others, maybe any others. I am cautious about suggesting that people visit places, just because they are my favorites…or calling anything “the best”. It is my favorite, by far; I make no claim for “best”. But, by contrast, I have no pizza place in Philadelphia that I’d even recommend “above the crowd”. (And, though Mama’s is a “pizzeria” their pizza is avoidable, even if the famous pizza author, Peter Rienhard, grew up on it and writes glowingly about it.)

Like I said, check the times…as Mama’s, which has been around since 1957, apparently does not need the money. They are open 4 days a week (Wed-Sat) plus Tuesday lunch. It must be nice to be able to do that–for them. I can only imagine what they’d make on a Sunday during pro football season…or if they delivered.

Oh, and ask them to “toast” your roll. They’ll put it in the pizza oven first to crisp it up.