CHARLIE'S CAFE EXCEPTIONAL/Minneapolis 1933-1982

When I first got into the wine business in the late 70s, this was the legendary restaurant in the Twin Cities that was the church of wine and food. Their wine list was heavy in old Bordeaux and Burgundy (40s-60s vintages) and I was in complete awe of them. Every single dish I had there has never been equaled in my lifetime. Here is a cool short documentary of the restaurant - a must watch.

CHARLIE’S CAFE EXCEPTIONAL - Minneapolis Minnesota: 1933-1982

And, as the story goes, there was no better potato salad in the world, here is one of the recipes that’s been floating around for years -

CHARLIE’S CAFE EXCEPTIONAL POTATO SALAD RECIPE

And an early menu from the 1930s -

CHARLIE’S CAFE EXCEPTIONAL MENU

Interesting, Thanks for the post Thomas.

In the mid-70s I made my only visit ever to the Twin Cities…and remember going to the Lincoln Del… which seemed to be another icon of the area. I understand it is long gone, but…every time I meet someone from that area/era…it brings back good memories for me and them. (I hadn’t realized then that such places existed outside of New York).

And…then the Coen Brothers’ “A Serious Man” captured the era and area in that profound film. (Maybe their best .)

Sorry to digress…but your post reminded me of all of this. I’d like to get back someday, but…doubt I will. Mall of America is not a draw for me.