Sweet Red Wine?

My wife used a vintage port for the sauce for a chicken dish she makes. Can anyone recommend an alternative? I told her the only sweet red wine I have is an open bottle of 2000 Warre’s in the fridge. I don’t mind opening a port once or twice a year to cook and then drinking the rest of the bottle with the meal, but I’m worried my ports will be used up years before I planned to drink them. Cost to replace them or add to my cellar is not realistic to my mind.

For a sauce, a <$10 bottle of Port should be just fine. Put a vacuum stopper in it and it will last for a month+.

I can’t see myself being able to put vintage port into a sauce. Seems like a waste.

Marsala or sherry may substitute well.

We have sherry and Marsala in the kitchen for other dishes. But I think a ruby port will be good. For some reason, it didn’t cross my mind. Thanks.

Madeira is classic for sauces. That said, I think a ruby Port would be cheaper.

Madeira sounds right. I’m going to get something around $20 if possible.

I’m only half kidding.

Other than honey, the sauce tastes mostly of the wine. I don’t want to cook with a wine I wouldn’t want to drink.

Would be interesting to do a side by side comparison with a lesser and better bottle.

I cook with wines I wouldn’t drink all the time. I buy four packs of 187ml sized Gallo Sauvignon Blanc. It’s the perfect amount for making a risotto. I also use bottles of Charles Shaw for braised short ribs. After cooking for that amount of time, I think one would be hard pressed to tell the difference between a $3 bottle and a $30. I’d rather buy better quality meat/herbs/etc.

We do the same thing. We buy the little 187 bottles of Sutter Home Chard for cooking fish. We always have a few in the fridge and don’t feel obligated to open a 750 when just a little wine is needed. The liquor store I am sure snickers at us when we leave with our little four pack.

+1.

I use Charles Shaw for short ribs as well. Unless the wine is off in some way, you’re probably good.

The Quinta do Infantado Ruby Port is really good for the price. It’s what I use when I want a port wine base for a sauce. And I’m happy to drink it too.