what do you eat when you need to reset your tastebuds....

after 5 days of decadent dish after dish, i think i’m a bit fatigued by the black truffles, spring truffles, caviar, foie gras, uni, heavy cream, and reduction sauces…

what do you eat when you are taste bud fatigued?

Congee
Pho noodles
Fried rice

ahhh… pho sounds good… a nice bowl of pho ga with lots of lemon…

pho.
shabu shabu

basically anything with noodles/meat/soup… except ramen, a bit too rich for me. But usually after a weekend away from home and eating/drinking everyday, my wife usually forces salad on me for a few days.

Mexican

Or biscuits & gravy

shabu sounds good too… not a big fan of most ramen places in the states… soup tends to be too salty for me… but recently a fan of toto ramen in nyc… the chicken based stock is much lighter

Notice above that most folks mentioned something that’s familiar to them, but I’d take something familiar to you, not them. Also, something very salty always seems to deaden my taste buds. A heavy restricted caloric intake tends to increase my sensory perception as do lightly flavored fruits and vegetables, think apples and potatoes. There could also be some mental overload too, so consider not considering for a while.

Drink lots of water. Avoid salt and high fat foods. Drink lots of water. Exercise (I’m not kidding). Drink lots of water. Overload/saturation becomes a bigger issue as I age. My wife and I have taken long, food oriented trips since we were in college. In our 20s and 30s, we could and did eat 5 stars a day. Those days and nights are over. At 60, with no kids at home, we now travel often (including an annual 6 week NYC/London/Paris eating binge) and I’ve found that I have to eat a simple dinner every 7 days, max, or I become sick. On those nights, I’ll eat a simple pasta, pizza, oysters, or simply prepared fish. Foie gras and jabugo are the two foods that I have to eat moderately, or suffer very unpleasant consequences. Pho is my go-to lunch after a decadent Parisian dinner (lots of great pho in Paris), but I never use hoisin sauce due to its high sodium.

An apple.

Or, an apple.

Food from bags with “CARE” stenciled on the outside.

neener

I brought this problem up with my spare change buddy at the park. He says, “A bottle of Scope after a trip to the vomitorium.”

Secret pic of the back room at Per Se: