Blood oranges are here...

Zest 'em for an other worldly blood orange cello.

Juice for awesome cocktails.

About 14 days left.

3 L 95% EtOH with blood orange zest…cello coming!

When you say zest em, how picky are you? Do you use the whole peel or do you actually scrape the outer layer? And no actual fruit, right?

Nice. Love blood oranges. So interesting how it has that berry flavor tied in. Delicious in salads.

Just made some blood orange vinaigrette this week. So good on heartier greens.

Just the zest itself, no pith or fruit flesh. I probably even tend to under zest to keep it so no pith is harmed.

I got lazy and tired of having a bit of my knuckle in batches of 'cello and bought this:

http://www.chefsfirst.com/Zester-Zip-Zester-Automatic-Zesting-Machine-Blk-p/zip010.htm

In the length of time it takes to listen to two Stones albums, I can zest 50 pounds of citrus!

Then, into a cool dark place for 30 days - likely over-kill; and then mix with simple syrup to taste.

After the soak, I use the zest for cooking. Most of the flavor is gone, but it stull has a little nuance left.

For simple syrup, I make two: a 1-1 sugar to water by weight, and a 1 part sugar to 2 parts water by weight and then blend each batch depending on my mood and palate.

We have been enjoying gin and tonic with blood orange instead of lime.

been making my old fashioned drinks w them off my tree.

I first spotted them here in January I believe. Been eating 10 or so a week, I cannot get enough!

I love them too but wonder why some of them are not juicy.

yeah, this has been my experience more often than not. I just chalked it up to living in the Midwest.