Coffee pourover insight...

When using my single cup pourover cone, I used to use paper filters, and recently switched to a gold filter so the coffee grounds don’t go in the garbage (old coffee grounds stink, of course) - however, it seems like a REALLY dirty cup of coffee with the gold tone foil, and I’m not a fan of dirty coffee. Is it just a cheap foil filter or is that part of the style that the foil filters create?

Tis the style, mate.

Old coffee grounds stink? Bruise a garlic clove, and toss it into the garbage with the coffee.

without knowing the filter you’re using (vs paper), you might be grinding the coffee itself too fine. there shouldn’t be sediment, not a lot anyway.

coffee grounds go in the compost. everyone knows that.

I’ve tried quite a few different grind settings on my Baratza - always it comes out dirty. Guess I’ll go back to aeropress

Is there a compost pile out in the center island of your street? [snort.gif]

Even with the Technivorm if I use only the gold filter and no paper, it can come out dirty. A function both of your grind and the filter, methinks.

And when it comes to composting, we just throw the grounds in the paper filter out into the garden at my parents house. It’s never been an issue. At home I always chuck the grounds in the garbage, I figure they help to promote decomposition of all the other stuff in the trash. :slight_smile:

Every time I’ve tried to use a permanent filter the result was the same… dirty coffee.

Stopped trying; using paper filters now.

…or even better, the garden. Citrus trees also love the additional acidity coffee brings.

To Todd’s question, I use paper filters with my pourover.

Same here. And, dirty is fine if there is a definite improvement in taste, but I’ve never been able to perceive it. And, clean up is more difficult. I just couldn’t find any advantage to going without a paper filter. (I’ve never perceived any paper taste - bleached or ‘natural’)

What is “dirty coffee” in this context? With grinds in it? or…with a trail of silt? or oil? I probably have “dirty coffee” daily with the gold filter and Technivorm and Capresso grinder…but…I like whatever it is, I guess.

Not clear - silty

Thanks…I think that’s the expected result from gold vs. paper filters…and I’ve always assumed that it adds to the flavor…and doesn’t really detract from the textural experience? I guess you don’t like it?

For me the effect is simular to French press, maybe a tad more super fine sediment. Really depends on grind.

Do you find it objectionable? I don’t, but…I expect it as part of the “gold” experience.

My opinion: I didn’t find it objectionable, but I likewise didn’t find it beneficial and the cleanup was more difficult. Therefore, I didn’t see any reason not to use filters.

Do you find the gold to be beneficial over paper filters?

Let me +7 the composting of the the grounds… FWIW, just make the pour over into a pre-heated pot and then pretend the coffee is like “old wine” and decant it into a cup to drink in it’s clear state.
or switch to paper in the pour over.

I use a french press.
Not sure I understand the problem. How clean do you want your coffee to be Todd?

I have used a French press for years but when I switched to the pour-over I never looked back. I just took that small amount of sediment in my glass as normal, but with pour-over it is non-existent. I think the paper filter is key to my enjoyment.

I use “oxygen-bleached” filters and rinse them with hot water before adding coffee… never percieve any paper taste. Can’t say the same for the “natural,” unbleached brown ones… they impart a strong taste of the substances (lignins?) that are removed in the bleaching process.

Other than the ability to re-use it an dump the grinds easily into the garbage disposal, I think the fine sediment that ends up in gold-filter coffee is a plus…flavor wise. Never done any experiment to “prove” it, but…think that. I use brown paper filters for older red wines, though…as I think gold filters allow too much sediment through. I did try testing that theory…long ago.

oh lord i hope klapp doesn’t read this… he’ll have a heart attack!