Your mashed potatoes recipe

I need your mashed potatoes recipe. Not just high level but detailed. I can make a pretty good product, but I know there’s room for improvement. Here’s my standard:

Start with basic russet potatoes.

Peel, chop and boil potatoes (in that order). I know you can boil with the skins on, cool and peel later, but this A) takes forever and B) often results in a lot of lost potato.

Drain.

Pass through ricer on medium setting. The narrow setting is just too small - maybe I need a more robust ricer.

Add butter, cream, salt (all cold) to still-hot potatoes. I’m usually generous with the butter but only modest with the cream - no more than 2 tbs regardless of amount of potatoes. Have no problem going to 6-8 Tbs butter if I’m at 2-3 lbs potatoes.

Whip with hand mixer using beaters for 2-3 minutes.

The resulting product is usually fairly tasty, but also fairly firm and not as light and airy as many restaurants. I know I could read 100 recipes but I bet this group has it down pat already.

So let me get this straight…you boil the potatoes and then add the butter?

No wonder mine have been so bland.
neener

Yours sounds great.

I drain the spuds and then put the pan back on the stove on the lowest heat and add the butter so it melts. Then I mix it in until they are still a bit chunky, but with butter all through. Then milk and s&p (also nutmeg over here).

Ixnay the mixer. Just fold the butter (and cream, if you’re using it) into the riced potatoes.

I always use Yukon Gold’s for my mashed potatoes, peeled and boiled in salted water.

Butter, warm milk, salt, pepper, hand mashed and then mixed.

Same here, except I like to include the skins.

Sometimes maybe some sour cream, truffle, or what not. But same backbone!

I’ve heard steaming is better than boiling. Fact or fiction?

I’ve done both with the same batch of potatoes and detect no different in the end product.

Best potatoes I make (other than Robuchoning). One pot, half steamed, half boiled, no fuss. I skip the garlic and sugar.

Boil with the skins on, drain and then peel. They become less waterlogged, allowing more air when passing through the ricer and mixing.
Yes, there is some lost potato but when you look at what is lost when peeling, there does not appear too great of a difference.
I use Kevlar gloves to handle the peeling.
KevlarGloves.jpg
(Same ones I wear when using the mandolin).

Use buttermilk

3/4 russett, 1/4 yukon
40 cloves of roasted garlic, steeped in butter
1 large onion, carmelized
chicken stock instead of milk
whip the snot out of it in the kitchen aid and make sure you are grinding the pepper into it while it is still hot, but just til it fluffs don’t turn it to glue.

I’m thinking this is probably my problem. Notice I peel, cut into 1 inch chunks, and boil. This allows to quick and even doneness. Peeling then boiling will turn the exterior to mush before the interior is cooked. Boiling unpeeled will be my next attempt.

Tex - interesting.

Kenny - you crazy.

I just use a hand masher (no ricer or whipping) which makes it easier to avoid getting to the gluey stage. I usually toss in some roasted garlic.

My wife made potato skins the other night and had all the leftover potatoes that she scooped out of the 6 russet skins. So I reheated the potatoes in the microwave, then added butter about half a stick, around a quarter cup of sour cream, salt-and-pepper and then about a tablespoon of chopped fresh oregano and dome lemon zest. I mixed it all real well and just before serving I folded in some green onions. Everyone commented on it.
The skirt steak that I had served it with was coated with oregano salt pepper and lemon zest before cooking so adding some if those spices to mashed potatoes really worked well.

In my favorite mashed potato recipe I melt the butter with some garlic in the microwave and then mix it with the potatoes after they’re cooked along with some heavy whipping cream, salt and pepper. Damn I’m getting hungry already.
Hand masher here as well.

With a 2:1 potato:butter ratio, you might be able to make Robuchon worthy mash.

With the ricer I’ve had 100% success avoided the gluey stage. I did get some gluey ones about 2 weeks ago when I forgot to use the ricer, and went at them with a pastry cutter.

Anyone roast their potatoes instead of boiling? I’ve had good success doing that and making up the moisture difference with cream/butter. I think it maintains a better potato flavor.

I usually Sous Vide the potatoes for 5 hours at 75C. Make sure to ONLY harvest them on root day and it helps to vacuum pack them in the original soil they were grown in.

I think the OP has it just about right. Here’s the deal. They are MASHED POTATOES. They are a vehicle for gravy, or whatever sauce you are serving with the protein. Put your focus on the protein and don’t overthink the damn mash potatoes. Sure they shouldn’t be bland, but they don’t need to be high art.

Clearly you’ve never had Robuchon’s pommes puree. I would take them over proteins and gravy any day, and twice on Sunday.