Got a tagine for Christmas...

Great toy.

Easy to play with, no fussing needed. Tender results!

I would recommend this item as a kitchen toy!

Lamb with picholine olives, etc…

Before…

After…

Tastes better than it looks.

Base recipe: Lamb Tagine with Green Olives and Lemon Recipe - Ethan Stowell

Killed these with it.

Great match.

Looks good, made a lot of liquid though…

2 cups water into the tagine.

My former neighbors – she is a great cook. They went to Morocco several times, and she had several Tagines. The food she made was delicious (she even preserved her own lemons) but as I remember often the food would spill over in the oven. That conical chimney makes the tagine look larger than it is, the base is just more or less a plate. You have to be careful not to overload it.

I have been teasing myself with tagines on eBay but have not pulled the trigger yet.

I’ve been pretty happy, and you can whip things up pretty quickly.

Also, good for side dish production.

Making the vegetable dish for the night in the tagine is a breeze, even if it’s burger night.

Looks great! How were the wines?

We just got a tagine but haven’t used it yet. It is the one below, which was recommended by a foodie friend. She says she has cooked whole chickens in hers, and that the relatively tall chimney part of this one provides more space for food in the bottom dish part.

Re water, I’ve been looking at recipes and FWIW (a lot, I think, considering the source) Paula Wolfert says to add very little, as water escaping from the food condenses in the chimney and keeps the contents moist.

http://www.tenthousandvillages.com/bowls/etched-lombok-tagine

Is this easier/better than a Le Creuset dutch oven? Trying to decide if I need to add another pot to my crowded kitchen. The recipes are very appealing.

If you don’t have a good Dutch oven – buy that first. There are SO many more uses for that.

Even though I love Moroccan food, the limited utility of a tagine has stopped me from buying one (as I probably mentioned above).

Of course according to Paula Wolfert, any crockery/ceramic cook pot will give you a noticeable difference from metal.