NYC sushi - not over the top recs?

Asking for my wife and her sisters who have an upcoming trip to NY. They would like a great sushi spot that isn’t one of the uber expensive places (i.e. those that are routinely $300++/pp, etc.) that are also impossible to get a seating. I told her I’d throw it out here to see what everyone had to say.

I think they are staying in SOHO FWIW, but they could cab it anywhere reasonable. I doubt they’d want to trek out to Brooklyn unless it was for a mind altering experience. Also, they are adventurous eaters, so generic, plain stuff wouldn’t be worth it to them.

jewel bako

+1

I defintely second the Jewel Bako recommendation. They have tasting courses for around $60 per person which are great. The restaurant, while beautiful, is extremely cramped though. Never the less, I always have a great time when I go.

Another recommendation is Sushi Yasuda. Defintely not cheap, but considering the quality, the price is pretty incredible. I constantly tell people that it is very near the quality of some of those $300 p/p places, at about a third or quarter of the price.

Kura was a great choice for me and turned out to be one of the better sushi restaurants I’ve been to.

Based on my experience Yasuda has gone downhill since Yasuda left.

Thanks all and thanks Doug for the link! Should have just posted in that one. I feel confident they’ll get what they want will all of these. My wife wanted Masa or Nakazawa, but her sisters had a little sticker shock - which was good for me!

The Sushi tasting menu at Shuko is $135 which isn’t as interesting as their Sushi Kaiseki menu but it is still great.

Shuko - Definitely the most fun and interesting spot right now. I fully disagree about Yasuda going downhill. I think its fantastic and also great for lunchtime. Agree on the Jewel Bako recommendation as well. Sit as sushi counter at any of these spots. Also - Soto in the West Village - very serious vibe, but great food.