Sous Vide steaks...various doneness

Just do them to Medium Rare (56.5) and then use a longer sear/broil for the Medium steaks?

sounds good although running a second bath at higher temp in a beer cooler would work too.

I just have the one heat pump so that’s not an option right now.

You could do the medium steaks, drop the temp, and add the med-rare ones, which only means that the medium ones go a bit longer. Doing a longer sear will result in overcooked exterior, partially negating the benefits of sous vide.

My favorite technique is to sous vide the steak to the preferred doneness on day before. And then freeze it and drop it into a deep frier. Warm up the steak just before serving…
This is the best way to avoiding cooking the inside when developing a good crust on the outside.

Unless you’ve got something the size of a turkey fryer, isn’t this a recipe for an oil fire?

A regular deep fryer works just fine.
The steak is frozen solid it won’t throw a lot of water when frying.

the freezer / fryer trick is right out of Modernist Cusine IIRC that is how they cook their hamburgers.

Do you freeze them in the SV bags, so they’ve got zero ice on them?

I take them out of the bag and dry it with a paper tower.

Yes, Mel

This is where I got the recipe from. The result for steaks is very good. Haven’t tried it on burgers yet

I did several prime tri tips today. Rubbed with equal parts coffee, paprika, garlic, pepper, and 1.5 parts course salt.

Let sit overnight with the rub.

Bag next day and sv at 135. I went about 3.5 hours for 2 but wish I had done shorter.

Throw Ina hot skillet for two minutes a side and serve sliced.

Oh yeah, I rested it for ten minutes to dry it on a rack before hitting the skillet.

Turned out awesome.