sous vide question- lobster tails

Going to cook a couple tails tonight- using my Inova. Haven’t done lobster- see most recommend 140 for 30 minutes. Just simple butter in with the tails.

Thoughts?

Doing the same tonight, did the prep work earlier. Going with 140 deg for 40 minutes. Used butter, lemon and a bit of taragon. First time with this.

Chris- looks good…I don’t want to overcook it so I am going for the 30 minutes. The tarragon is a great idea !

I’d recommend doing it in the shell or making a stock from the shells and sealing that in. Just plain tail will be banal.

interesting discussion on temperature

I’d generally agree. 50C is my starting point for most seafood.

So I cooked a couple tails for NYE- 150 for 30- they really turned out great. I took the liquid from the bag(butter, lemon, tarragon and the liquid from the tails) reduced it- then added some butter and a bit more lemon- really made a great sauce for the tails.

all the fish I’ve cooked at the lower temps in the SV bath have been too soft in texture for my family. I’m fine with tender fish but the wife and kids like their fish all quite firm (overcooked IMHO) I guess different strokes for different folks.

I was going to say the same thing: I can’t really see the point of SV for fish or lobster. In fact, as Mel says, I want the texture that comes with cooking with regular methods (which doesn’t have to be overcooked). But then I am not a big SV fan for almost anything, including meats.

aw lawd. I love low temp sous vide fish. I’m a big fan of medium rare fish prep nowadays.

Then why post in a thread about sous vide?? If you don’t like anything cooked SV?? And hey Alan, get off my lawn…

Cooked lobster tail in the shell over the holidays –

via the serious eats method, loved it – didn’t like it SV–that we had done before

I first skewered the tails, to prevent them from curling up - steamed 1 minute this keeps the tail from sticking to the shell

Then roasted to 135… cracked the shell… and they came out perfect

Did a parsley garlic butter… squeeze of lemon…on the side

LOL, sorry [cheers.gif] Kind of like giving someone advice on how not to decant a wine, when they ask how long to decant :wink:

Will be interested in how it comes out if you try it. I love the slightly chewy texture of steamed/boiled lobster, but maybe SV would be even better.