SAUSAGE SALAD

Sausage salad or what we call in german Wurstsalat is a dish served in summer times especially in the south of Germany. Please use simple vinegar&oil. No olive oil or aged aceto balsamico. Keep it simple!

http://www.wineberserkers.com/content/?p=1797

Save water, drink wine
Martin

My first trip to Germany was in 1988, and I just had found out that my cholesterol was through the roof. I often found smoked trout for lunch, and we’d order Gulaschsuppe which wasn’t too bad. But I was dying for a green salad and in München we went into a little restaurant, I had probably seen “salad” on the menu posted in the window. After I sat down and read thru the menu I realized that all of the salads were in fact Wurstsalat. I ordered one that at least had onions, it was a Regensburger Wurstsalat mit Zwiebeln. It was darn good and actually refreshing, but it didn’t help my cholesterol one bit.

Thanks for this, I’ll have to check the original recipe – if that’s pasta then it’s a bit different from what I remember in Munich. I probably can’t find a Regensburger here in the states or I might re-live that slightly frustrating experience I had a while back.

PS – oh that =IS= a Regensburger. I worked so hard to remember that name and it’s right in your recipe. The Munich salad had the sausage cut up into silver dollars and the onion was white/sweet instead of red. And I see that those are strips of cheese rather than pasta. Your recipes often make my mouth water especially when it’s a food I know. I can just taste the darn salad. I am going to have to go Googling for Regensburger!! Can anyone suggest a source?

No, Frank, not pasta but cheese.

This is a great recipe, but can you find good tasting Lyoner in the states? Most places would have bologna as the closest thing [bleh.gif]

The mortadella at the butcher counter here is darn tasty, and would fit.

The area I now live in was settled heavily by Germans. In fact the local paper was in german until WWI.

Now I know why these kind of “salads” show up in the salad bars of local joints! Always thought it was strange.

Can you get quality mortadella?

This place sells a Lyoner

https://www.bavariasausage.com/proddetail.asp?prod=Lyoner-German-Bologna

At any rate I have a long memory, and a few months before the weather warms up! We’ll come up with something.

Oh yes, a good Mortadella is a fine replacement for Lyoner.